5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2013 4:30 PM by chris.rudolph

FM GO with SQL connectivity

chris.rudolph

Title

FM GO with SQL connectivity

Hi,
           We're having an issue with one of our FM database that we're sharing via Filemaker 12 server to FM Go 12 on iPads.

The FM database is connecting to an external MS SQL database for most of it's tables/data.

Everything connects and works fine, can open the file, access all the data no worries.  The issue comes w the FM Go app does it's reauthenticate using the fmreautheticate extended privilege set after the iPad has gone to sleep.  fmreautheticate is set to 480 minutes, and the server is set to disconnect idle users after 12 hours.

When it does that the data that is kept in the FM database is fine (ie all the globals in the main file), but any data that is stored in the SQL database is no longer available, it comes up with <Connection Lost> instead. And when you try to go a layout that is based on one of those tables FM Go just drops me back to the main iPad Screen.
           I've tried it with other FM databases, that are just purely FM, no SQL connectivity, and they work fine, it's just in this one file that is connected to an SQL database.
           I've tried doing a screen refresh and I've tried using a script that does a relogin, but that doesn't restore the data. The only way I've found to get the data to come across again is we need to close the file we're working on, and reopen it (which needs us to relogin), and then it all comes back again.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

• 1. Re: FM GO with SQL connectivity
          TSGal

SSWindows:

Thank you for your post.

Is there a connectivity setting on the SQL database?  Since your database files tend to remain open without being connected to SQL data source, it could be SQL data source that is timing out.  Do you have an idea how long FileMaker is idle before the SQL database times out?

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FM GO with SQL connectivity
            chris.rudolph

Thanks for the reply TSGal,

After some more testing, I've found that it disconnections after 2 mins of FM GO being in the background.

I'm currently looking for timeouts on the SQL ODBC and on the database itself.  The only timers I saw were the connection pooling timeout and retry on the ODBC and they have been extended to 5 mins as a test, however it hasn't made any difference.

I'll keep looking to see if I'm missing a timeout somewhere else, unless you have a more concrete suggestion of where to look?

• 3. Re: FM GO with SQL connectivity
              chris.rudolph

I've done a lot of searching and can't seem to find where this is occurring.

Any other ideas?

• 4. Re: FM GO with SQL connectivity
                TSGal

SSWindows:

Have you tried this with another hosted database file that isn't connecting to an external data source?  If not, create a new database file, set the fmreauthenticate extended privilege in the file, and then host it.

TSGal
                     FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: FM GO with SQL connectivity
                  chris.rudolph

TSGal:  Thanks for the suggestion, and sorry for the delay, we've been on holidays.

I've tried with a basic hosted database file with no external data source, and it has no problems, it connects back straight away without any issues.

As a work around I've created a script that does a Close File on the ODBC connection, and then Open file on the ODBC Connection. This does it get going again without the need to completely log off and log back in, but it still requires that extra step of the person running the script.