9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2014 11:37 AM by gcKoenig

FM Go won't update file with same name via iTunes?

SteveDobney

Title

FM Go won't update file with same name via iTunes?

Hi

Let me preface this by saying I have no previous experience with databases and have just been developing my first FMP database for collecting data in the field (literally), using FM Go in iPad minis. One thing that seems to be a bug:

I have the layouts/records on the iPad, then save to the Mac laptop via iTunes (Save As).

On the laptop, I make some modifications, without changing the file name.

On the iPad, I delete the original files (and yes, I have been caught out with the 'Recent' tab, but I make sure I delete from the 'Device' tab.

I reload the file via iTunes (Add). It shows up on the iPad with the new file size and date, but when I open it (from the Device tab), it does not include the changes I've made on the laptop. I've tried this a number of times to verify it.

The only solution is to rename the file on the laptop, then Add it to the iPad, in which case it transfers properly. This seems to be a problem with overwriting the original file on the iPad.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Steve

• 1. Re: FM Go won't update file with same name via iTunes?
          Markus Schneider

it's working without problems here, but make sure that the iOS device is 'on' - not in sleep mode when You transfer the file (You can use drag&drop from the finder into the iTunes-window ('apps'...). You should be asked if You want to replace the file

• 2. Re: FM Go won't update file with same name via iTunes?
            SteveDobney
            Thanks Markus, I get a "cannot load file to device" or similar message of the device is asleep (locked), so that is not the problem. As I say, only solution is to change the file name.
            • 3. Re: FM Go won't update file with same name via iTunes?
              AppGuy

Steve-

We do use iTunes to preload our iPads and update them on occasion..  All you have to do is drop and drag the file either from iTunes to your computer or vice versa.. 

You need to make sure you close your application on the iPad before transferring on both the iPad and computer.

It will pop open a dialog box when doing so asking if you want to replace the file or not..

JP

• 4. Re: FM Go won't update file with same name via iTunes?
                rgordon

As Steve said, make sure the file is closed on the iPad.  Also look into using Diskaid on your computer instead of iTunes to transfer files.  It's much nicer than iTunes, its free and it works over Wifi.

• 5. Re: FM Go won't update file with same name via iTunes?
                  SteveDobney

Thanks JP, that may be the problem, that I am not quitting FMGo on the iPad before transferring the file. I'll try that next time.

• 6. Re: FM Go won't update file with same name via iTunes?
                    gcKoenig

I had a similar but not exactly the same problem when trying to transfer a file between an iPhone (iOS 7, the latest here in April 2014) and my MacBook Pro (running Mavericks, the latest version).  This is a 'handoff' use of the database: I only use the file on one device at a time.  I have two copies, one on the iPhone, and one on the MacBook Pro.  I had been entering data into the copy on the iPhone.  I wanted to transfer it back onto the MacBook Pro, using iTunes (which is the only way I know how).  I got a strange error message that said I could not copy the file because I didn't have "permission" to read "see its contents" or something like that.  I had done this previously, but hadn't ever seen that error message before.  I looked on the iPhone and FileMaker was not running.  So I 'kicked out" all running apps on the iPhone.  When I did that and tried it again, no problem.  The copy came over to the MacBook Pro and I was able to open it with FileMaker 13 (latest version 13.0v3 and iPhone latest version 13.0.4).
                         So, I modified the structure and data while on the MacBook Pro.  Then when I tried to copy it back, the same thing occurred.  Again, I kicked out all other running apps on the iPhone (so that only the main screen of icons was left) and then it copied back ok.
                         Now I just tried it again (to get a screen shot of the actual message), and it did it again (obediently).  Where do I turn?  Call applecare with a bug report for iTunes?  They're not going to know.
                         In general, this method of using iTunes to move files back & forth seems like such a kluge!  Isn't there an easier, more direct way to do this, perhaps within FileMaker 13 somehow recognizing that the iPhone is plugged in (via USB cable)?

• 7. Re: FM Go won't update file with same name via iTunes?
                      rgordon

I never use iTunes.  Diskaid is a much nicer solution to use for transferring files back and forth.  It's free and works over Wifi.  With fmgo 13.0v3 you can  now copy files directly to Dropbox.  This makes file transfers using Dropbox much easier.  

• 8. Re: FM Go won't update file with same name via iTunes?
                        philmodjunk

The reason that you are getting this error message is that your iOS device is asleep at the time you tried to copy the file. Use your passcode to open up the iOS device and this error message should not occur--until it goes back to sleep and then you have to enter the passcode in all over again.

This is an ongoing irritation with iTunes. There's a logic to it, but the error message provides no clue as to why you are getting it and so I only discovered by accident that it wanted me to unlock my iPhone with the passcode before permitting access to the files on it.

• 9. Re: FM Go won't update file with same name via iTunes?
                          gcKoenig

Thank you all.  This helped.