FM Go “GetNthRecoder” Bug
hi，i used FM Go in iPad. A field is calculated used "GetNthRecoder" ， if the record total of more than 29, the results can not be displayed。it is bug?
Thank you for your post.
I am unable to replicate he problem on my iPad. This is what I have done.
1. I created a database file, Test.fp7, with one table and one field:
2. I imported a text file of 500 names into Field1
3. I changed the contents of Field1 in record 50 to "TSGal"
4. I created a Calculation field Calc1, resulting in text with the formula:
GetNthRecord ( Field1 ; 40 )
5. I displayed the Layout in List view.
6. All records show "TSGal" in the field Calc1
7. I turned on Network Sharing for All users.
8. In FileMaker Go, I opened Test.fp7 as a guest, turned on List View, and went to record 200+. All records continue to display with "TSGal" appearing in the field Calc1.
Please let me know what I am doing differently than you, and I'll try to replicate the problem here.
thank you answer，I have a test file, to reproduce the problem, I can send you， give me your email please
Please check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.
Some uses of GetNthRecord result in another layer of computation for stacking up for each each additional record in the found set or portal--basically a form of recursion. Since this is on an iPad or iPhone, the smaller memory capacity of this device could hit such a limitation much sooner than in FileMaker Pro on a regular computer. That may explain the issue here.
If this is just to compute a total of all the records or a running total, try using a summary field instead of GetNthRecord.
I received your file. Thank you.
I am able to replicate the problem in FileMaker Go. This occurs with any file that uses a running balance, when using the unstored calculation "GetNthRecord - 1" to capture the balance from the previous record. After the 29th record, the balance field returns a question mark.
I have forwarded your post along with my findings to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for review and confirmation. When any information becomes available, I will let you know.
I apologize for the late reply.
Our Development and Testing departments confirmed this is an issue with the limited memory on an iOS device (at this time).
One possible workaround is to use a script to obtain the same result.
Go to Previous Record snip followed by Go To Next Record might solve the problem.
Since a summary is involved try
Set current record id into variable $_id
Retrieving data ...