6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2013 7:24 PM by schamblee

FM Go: Any way to script "view a container item"?

ScottBleackley

Title

That is I would like to provide embedded help files such that when you press a small ? button

you are taken directly to viewing a file, PDF for instance which is held in a container field.

Is this possible?  If so how is it done.

Thank you,

• 1. Re: FM Go: Any way to script "view a container item"?
          TSGal

Scott Bleackley:

Thank you for your post.

Create a script that uses the script step "Export Field Contents".  This will export the field contents (PDF file in your case) to the FileMaker Go folder, and in the section "After saving:", be sure to place a checkmark next to the option "Automatically open file".  This way, when the script executes, it saves the file and then opens it.

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FM Go: Any way to script "view a container item"?
            ScottBleackley

Thank you TSGal,

Perhaps some clarification would be helpful.

The issue I see with this approach is that the PDF in a container field in my case is a help file and is likely to be used many times.  

So, it would seem, at least on the surface, that this approach would end up with either a bunch of copies of the pdf as a separate file or a prompt to the user to replace a file of the same name which also is inappropriate.  Maybe error capture could deal with this.  All I want to do is the same thing that would happen if I choose view in the menu that appears when I select a container field.  Perhaps this is what is really happening internally anyway.

I guess alternately I could make such a field make it really very small and somehow add a ? on top of it so that when clicked it would offer you to view the enclosed PDF document...  That is make the field appear to be a small circle with a ? in the middle a help button. A little sad both ways.

All and any suggestions are most welcome.  

Speech in Go would also be very helpful :  )

• 3. Re: FM Go: Any way to script "view a container item"?
              TSGal

Scott Bleackley:

Another option is to create another Layout that only contains the Container field.  Set the layout to about 10 x 12 (inches) and size the Container field to the same size.  Then, you can create a button on the initial layout that switches you to the new layout displaying the PDF file.  If the PDF file is more than one page, then you'll have to tap to select it and display full screen.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FM Go: Any way to script "view a container item"?
                ScottBleackley

Small container fields referencing PDF files make lovely thumbnails.
                     If the fields are marked as non-modifyable then only View and Save options 
                     appear on FM Go Container field menu.

• 5. Re: FM Go: Any way to script "view a container item"?
                  hrcap

Good Evening Scott

You mention in your post above that if container fields are marked as non-modifyable then only View and Save options appear on the FM Go Container field menu...... how do i go about making a container field non-modifyable?

Many Thanks

Hadleigh

• 6. Re: FM Go: Any way to script "view a container item"?
                    schamblee

Hadleigh

You can set a container field so you can't right click to insert an item into the container.  From the inspector under the Data tab, uncheck Browse mode under Field Entry or There  is a setting under Auto-Enter Prohibit modification of value during data entry.

SChamblee