2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2013 3:08 PM by ScottBleackley

FM Go: Use/Add a related table from a different file

ScottBleackley

Title

I have a very large reference file with a single reference table containing a bunch of container fields.
           On FM 12 Pro on OS X I add a relationship from the Primary file to this Reference file and table and everything works fine.
           Move the both Primary file and Reference file to FM Go and data from the reference cannot be found.

I assume that this is because the path reference is now incorrect.

How do I resolve this issue?

Any thoughts or suggestions are most welcome.

Thank you

Side Note: small container fields referencing PDF files make lovely thumbnails.
           If the fields are marked as non-mondifyable then only View and Save options 
           Appear on FM Go Container field menu.

Related discussion

http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/2706135ff0?lang=en_US&opentoken=QXBpS2V5PTEwYzgwZjlkODliMjcwNmUmcF9jaWQ9MTM2NzQ0MiZwX2VtYWlsLmFkZHI9c2NvdHQlNDBmb2xrc3RvbmUuY2EmcF9uYW1lLmZpcnN0PVNjb3R0JnBfbmFtZS5sYXN0PUJsZWFja2xleSZTaWduYXR1cmVWZXJzaW9uPTImU2lnbmF0dXJlPUZmN1dqTGNNTEp0bnRhZ0VwYURJNTh3bTZPMCUzRCZwX3Nlc3Npb25pZD1zZm9ESXdrbCZwX3RpbWVzdGFtcD0xMzYyNjE5Mjg5

• 1. Re: FM Go: Use/Add a related table from a different file
          philmodjunk

I think what you want will work if the External Data Source Reference that you can open from Manage | External Data Source in FM Pro uses a relative path to reference the file from the related table. That reference should look like:

file: Filename.Fmp12

That should, however, be the type of entry that is made automatically if the two files are in the same folder on your computer at the time that you first add an external data source reference to the 2nd file.

• 2. Re: FM Go: Use/Add a related table from a different file
            ScottBleackley

Great!  Thank you. 

Not sure what I was doing wrong before as I was selecting a file in the same directory,
                 but did it again and it works just fine..

File Menu | Manage…| Database… | Relations Tab |  Double click on existing or New Table button bottom left
                 Specify Table ( dialog ) | Data Source Menu | Add File Maker Data Source, or Manage Data Sources.

Thanks again, 

:  )