1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 16, 2012 6:59 AM by Jade

FM Pro connectivity to PM Go on iPad or iPhone

BillPowers

Title

FM Pro connectivity to PM Go on iPad or iPhone

I have an application where I need a portable data collection capability.  Saw FM Go, quickly discovered that it needed FM Pro to drive it... or so it seemed.  Or do I need FM Server to make this work.  The website seems to indicate that FM Pro can do it, but there are occasional references to being on a network. 

I first of all just want to know if I can do what I need with FM Pro or not?  Than I'll work on how to do it.

• 1. Re: FM Pro connectivity to PM Go on iPad or iPhone
          Jade

Hi Bill,

FM Go works in the following configurations:

1. Standalone: use FM Go with your FileMaker solution file on an iPad or iPhone to collect the data remotely.  When you're back at your desk, you can opt to transfer the database back to FileMaker Pro on your desktop computer using iTunes or email if the database file is small.  Or just use it on your iPad or iPhone alone.

2. Off-line: If you have more than one person collecting data in the field who don't have access to the internet via cellular, then you must merge the data sets gathered from these people into the desktop computer's FileMaker Pro database.  Merging the data can get rather complex but there are third party plug-ins to help (e.g. Go Zync)

3. On-line: if you have more than one person collecting data in the field who have access to the internet, you can set up a client/server network.  The clients are the FM Go apps on the iPhones or iPads.  The server is either FM Pro or FM Server on your desktop computer.  FM Pro supports up to 9 clients; FM Server up to 250.  You'll need a static IP address from your internet provider for the Desktop computer or router.  Your desktop computer must remain on so that the people in the field can access it.  You also have the option of using an internet service (e.g. Point in Space) to host your FileMaker database instead of your desktop computer.  FM Server is more reliable and offers far more sophisticated services (e.g. automatic backups).