1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 10, 2011 2:27 PM by disabled_JackRodgers

FM-Go Newbie: Offline Connections, and multiple tables.

LawrenceKeyes

Title

FM-Go Newbie: Offline Connections, and multiple tables.

Dear folks: 

I'm a long-ago FMP user looking at a new application, and wanted to run this by you to see if it would be freasible 

We'd like to deploy a health-care screening application that is basically one "main" table, with about 8 small related tables. The applicaition asks for demographic information, and then goes through a series of one-page questionaires that screen for depression, wellness, etc. For each main record, I think there would be about 8 possible related records, that record "mulltiples", an example being if a person is taking more than one prescription drug, then we'd have a related record for each drug. Another example, is their health-care provider, they can have multiple providers. Etc.

We'd like to deploy on an IPad. In many cases the actual locaton of data entry might not have wireless or 3G/4G access at the time that the data was entered. We'd, of like to have the data entered, and stored locally on the iPad (encrypted somehow...) with the ability to sync back up to a shared database.  

I did a quick search and found that there are third party sync tools, that would acomplish the above scenario.  Questions: 

1. Anyone have experience with the third-party sync tools? 

2. Woudl a file maker app, consiisting of a main table with maybe 140 fields, plus several related smaller tables of a six or so fields each function on an iPAd?  (IOW, has anyone had experience deploying something of this magnitdue? ) 

3. What flavor(s) of FM is necessary, i.e., standard or server?  Note, that we don't require real-time remote connections in fact we can't really sustain them even if we wanted to... .but we woudl like to be able to aggregate data from multiple iPads on an asynchronous basis.

I'd appreciate any guidence.   Many thanks

Larry Keyes

Cathedral Square Corporation

SASH HIT Coordinator.  

• 1. Re: FM-Go Newbie: Offline Connections, and multiple tables.

You might consider a hot spot device such as some of the newer phones or like I am using, a Comcast xFininity MiFi router that is about the size of a pack of cigaretts. Other telcoes offer the same Novatel router. This is a 4G connection to your server and 5 wireless devices which can access files on each other, even a shared Filemaker databse. There are several cell phones that act as hotspots.

A remote Filemaker server will not respond as quickly as a local Filemaker Pro file over Wi-Fi so carrying the three items may be worthwhile. If you have a desktop computer with wifi you can have that act as a server for the iPads.

You can also carry 5 iPads and let 5 people play with your applicaiton to prove your point. Pointing out that upto 9 iPads can log into one $250 copy of Filemaker Pro might land a few sales too.

The question of functioning is not just the one you asked which is yes, Filemaker Go will run well on the iPad, the vital question is how well you design the file to meet the design parameters of Filemaker Go.