1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2013 11:51 AM by mmiketan

FMGo 13 container photos default to landscape

mmiketan

Title

FMGo 13 container photos default to landscape

Hi there,

I have a solution that uses container fields to store photos of documents taken with an iPad running FMGo 13. The solution is hosted on FMS12.  Whenever I take a photo of a page in portrait orientation, it automatically rotates into landscape when viewed in the container.

When using the same solution on FMGo 12 and performing the same task, the photo remains in portrait. Does anybody know whether this can be rectified without having to revert back to FMGo 12 (I really find the PDF handling on the iPad has improved immensely in FM Go 13).

Regards,

Michael.

• 1. Re: FMGo 13 container photos default to landscape
          TSGal

Michael Tan:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue.  This is what I have done.

1. In FileMaker Go 13.0v1, I launched the built-in Assets Library, tapped a record, and tapped the "+" icon in the top right to add a new record.  I tapped the Container field, selected Camera, took a picture, and tapped "Use Photo".  The picture appeared unrotated.

2. I rotated the iPad to Landscape, added a new record, tapped the Container field, selected Camera, took a picture, tapped "Use Photo", and the picture appeared as expected.

3. I added another record, tapped the Container field, selected Camera, rotated the iPad back to Portrait, took a picture, tapped "Use Photo", and the picture appeared as expected (not rotated).

4. In FileMaker Pro, I created a new database file with a Container field.  I then turned on Network Sharing and accessed the file as a guest via FileMaker Go.

5. I then followed the same steps as with the Assets Library, and I am still unable to replicate the issue.

This was all performed with FileMaker Go 13.0.2 under iOS 7.0.4 on an iPad 3.  Let me know what I'm doing differently than you so I can try to replicate the issue.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FMGo 13 container photos default to landscape
            philmodjunk

Could the difference be in whether the images, after transfer to the server are stored in containers with or without external storage specified?

• 3. Re: FMGo 13 container photos default to landscape
              mmiketan

Thank you all for your replies.

The original database was created in FM10 and later updated to FM12. I later decided to split the database into 2, with the second database used for storing documents.

I have changed the options for the container field to use external storage (secure) and this does not fix my problem.

I have attached a sample database file to dropbox (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11372800/Docs%20Copy.fmp12). I am using FMGO13 on an iPad air with iOS 7.0.4. This sample database replicates the problem when running FM Advanced 12 network sharing.

Regards,

Michael.

• 4. Re: FMGo 13 container photos default to landscape
                TSGal

Michael Tan:

I downloaded the database file, but since the PDF files are stored as references, they are not included.  If the files are embedded, do you have the same issue?

TSGal
                     FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: FMGo 13 container photos default to landscape
                  mmiketan

Yes,  original they were embedded however after  PhilModJunk's suggestion I changed the setting. When I took a photo  of a document  on the iPad, in portrait orientation it rotated to landscape and stretched to fit the container width.

Regards,

Michael

• 6. Re: FMGo 13 container photos default to landscape
                    TSGal

Michael Tan:

Disregard the above post.  I had your file confused with another post.

I hosted the file, accessed the file via FileMaker Go 13, snapped a shot from my iPad, used it, and the picture appears correctly.  I open the hosted file with FileMaker Pro 13, and the picture appears properly (not rotated).

My settings for the Camera have Grid turned off. and Keep Normal Photo turned on.

TSGal
                         FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: FMGo 13 container photos default to landscape
                      TSGal

Michael Tan:

I forgot to include the screen shot from FileMaker Pro 13.

TSGal
                           FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: FMGo 13 container photos default to landscape
                        mmiketan

Thanks TSGal.

If you host the file from Filemaker 12, do you also get the correct result?

• 9. Re: FMGo 13 container photos default to landscape
                          schamblee

I tested the file hosted on Filemaker 12 and if the picture is taken in portrait then it is stored in landscape as stated in your original post.

I also tested with Filemaker Go 12 and the picture is stored correctly.

• 10. Re: FMGo 13 container photos default to landscape
                            TSGal

Michael Tan:

I'll have access to FileMaker Server 12 on Monday.  I will test on Monday.

TSGal
                                 FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: FMGo 13 container photos default to landscape
                              TSGal

Michael Tan:

I can confirm the images do get rotated when hosting the file with FileMaker Pro 12.  After reporting this to Development and Testing, they informed me that because of the new way we handle images in FileMaker Pro 13, trying to move the images back to FileMaker Pro 12 will cause the images to rotate.  The suggestion is to use FileMaker Go 12 with FileMaker Pro/Server 12, and FileMaker Go 13 with FileMaker Pro/Server 13.

TSGal
                                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: FMGo 13 container photos default to landscape
                                philmodjunk

And can people still get new copies of FileMaker Go 12 if they need to add more iOS client devices and are still hosting with server 12?

• 13. Re: FMGo 13 container photos default to landscape
                                  philmodjunk

An entry in the Known Bugs List for FileMaker Go has been linked to this Issue Report. Any Comments/Questions/Suggested Corrections should be posted here or in a new thread. Please do not post such comments to the Known Bugs List thread.

A good case can be made that this is not truly a bug and I have logged it as "closed", but by putting it in the list, others that might encounter the issue can find it in the list and database.

• 14. Re: FMGo 13 container photos default to landscape
                                    TSGal

PhilModJunk:

FileMaker Go 12 is no longer available.  However, if a user downloaded FileMaker Go 12 via iTunes, then a copy is stored on the computer where it was downloaded.  You can then connect your iOS device to that computer and reinstall FileMaker Go 12.

TSGal
                                         FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 Previous Next