1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2015 11:47 AM by TSGal

FMGO 14 not auto selecting next field

DavidMansfield_2

Title

FMGO 14 not auto selecting next field

Hi,

I have tested an old file that used to work and created a new file but both have same problem in version 14 that didn't exist in 13.

If I have a pop-up menu on my portal row as the only user input, and I select one, It no longer automatically goes to the next portal row and opens the pop-up for that row, it just closes and makes the user select again.

On version 13 the user would just see repeating pop-up options for each row after they selected, very useful on the form we have with lots of portal rows and only 1 field per row.

I did try checking tab-order and also using a script on modify of the field that used go to portal row next, exit on last, however it worked all the way to the bottom then started adding new rows due to the way portals work.

• 1. Re: FMGO 14 not auto selecting next field
          TSGal

David Mansfield:

Thank you for your post.

FileMaker Go 13 did automatically move from a pop-up menu to the next field, but this was inconsistent with FileMaker Pro 13.  Therefore, this was changed in FileMaker Go 14 to be consistent with FileMaker Pro 14.

If you still want to move to the next field like it did in FileMaker Go 13, then use a field script trigger OnObjectModify that simply takes you to the next field.  For example, assuming the first field is Field1 and you want to automatically go to Field2, create a script "Go to Field2" that simply has the script step:    Go to Field [ Select/perform ; Field2 ]

Then, in Layout mode, select Field1, and set the script trigger OnObjectModify to execute "Go to Field2".

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FMGO 14 not auto selecting next field
            GouGouGourami

As I just posted to a different thread, this seems completely backwards that we now have to write a script for a simple step that used to be automatic. A feature was removed and now we have to hack around that? We have probably 100 instances of where we require the use of automatic tab ordering, and now we have to maintain all of those scripts individually? You must be kidding.

• 3. Re: FMGO 14 not auto selecting next field
              TSGal

Gou Gou Gourami:

Your comments are noted.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FMGO 14 not auto selecting next field
                philmodjunk

and now we have to maintain all of those scripts individually? You must be kidding.

Might be able to use a single script with go to next field in all 100+ cases in your database. Still a pain in terms of updating your layouts, but maybe a bit less than you originally imagined here...

• 5. Re: FMGO 14 not auto selecting next field
                  rgordon

Create one script with a go to next field script step.  Then select all of the pop up menu field and apply the OnModify script trigger to all of the fields at once.

• 6. Re: FMGO 14 not auto selecting next field
                    GouGouGourami

Phew- I was hoping that the scripts could recognize the tab order, and it sounds like it can! Thanks very much.

• 7. Re: FMGO 14 not auto selecting next field
                      TSGal

rgordon:

Thank you for the correction.  One script with Go to Next Field is all that is needed for all of the script triggers.  My apologies.

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: FMGO 14 not auto selecting next field
                        rgordon

No apologies needed.  The work you do on this forum is greatly appreciated!

• 9. Re: FMGO 14 not auto selecting next field
                          GouGouGourami

Okay, we've found one hitch with this strategy. We hide fields based on whether or not they are evaluating an attribute on a given project. The user can select radio buttons to indicate if they want to gather the attribute.  When employing this script strategy, it advances through all fields, even if they are currently hidden. You can even enter data into the hidden field, but you cannot see the field. This behavior doesn't happen with tab ordering in FMGo13. If a field is hidden, the tab ordering skips past that field- it works perfectly.

So.... any other options? If this remains our only option, we would actually have to write scripts that, based on user preferences (the radio buttons that the user selects), it will advance them to different fields. So what was 100 specific scripts that were thankfully simple could now become 100 scripts that are 10-15 lines long, incorporating a half-dozen If statements? Please say it ain't so.

I'm still not entirely clear on why this was changed in FM14Go in the first place. When we program for FMGo, we use popup menus. When we program for FMPro, we use dropdowns. There are a few things that work differently in Go/Pro, but we've learned to accommodate those differences. I don't understand why this can't be one of those differences. or at least give the developer the option to control the behavior.

• 10. Re: FMGO 14 not auto selecting next field
                            TSGal

Gou Gou Gourami:

If you need to evaluate if a field is hidden, then you will need to incorporate the Hide Object when calculation into the script trigger.

Again, this functionality was changed so that FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Go acted the same.

Feel free to enter the "option to control the behavior" suggestion into our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

The entries into this web form populate a database file that is hosted and monitored by Product Management and Development.  All entries are read, discussed and considered for possible implementation in a future release.  Although I could easily copy your post and paste it into the web form, there are a couple of questions asked on the form that only you can answer.

TSGal
                            FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: FMGO 14 not auto selecting next field
                              GouGouGourami

Could you elaborate on "Hide Object When Calculation" function? I'm not familiar with that capability.

• 12. Re: FMGO 14 not auto selecting next field
                                TSGal

Gou Gou Gourami:

To hide an object, go to Layout mode, and click on the object to select it.  Next, show the Inspector, click the "Data" tab, and under Behavior, the first option is "Hide object when".  Click on the pencil icon to the right, and here is where you specify the calculation to hide the object.  When that condition is met, the object will be hidden.

TSGal
                                FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: FMGO 14 not auto selecting next field
                                  GouGouGourami

Sorry i thought you were getting at something else. What you describe is in fact how we are hiding objects. When we say to hide object when PreferenceUserOption1 = "N", the field becomes hidden. The issue is that when using the script trigger to go to the next field, that script does not recognize that the field is hidden and goes to that location in the interface anyways. The field/object doesn't show up, but the value list for that field appears, so you have to make a selection on the hidden field to advance through.

With popup menus and tab ordering, this didn't happen in FMGo13. You could set your tab order to run through everything, and if an object was hidden, it would "know" that and skip over it.

• 14. Re: FMGO 14 not auto selecting next field
                                    rgordon

I can confirm the problem that Gou Gou is having.  It also occurs in FileMaker Pro 14.  To reproduce this try this.  Create three fields and add a pop up menu to each field.  Set the middle field to be hidden with a calculation of 1 (this means the field should always be hidden).  Create a script trigger with the go to next field script step.  Then select a value in the first field.  After the trigger fires you will see a pop up menu for the hidden field and you can select a value for the hidden field.  If you change the second field to a drop down list, you won't see the list but you can type in the hidden field.  This surely can't be expected behavior. I hate to say this but this look like another instance of trying to solve a problem that didn't exist and then creating a problem that now does exist.

1 2 Previous Next