1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2015 10:36 PM by philmodjunk

FMGo and server file not found error

no1tmorrow

Title

FMGo and server file not found error

I have a database that I use on an Ipad that I sync to a filemaker server. The problem is that if you close it on the ipad and reopen it, the application tries to connect to the server hosted file and then gives a file not found message. I only want it to look for the server hosted file when syncing. In the sync code it makes sure it can find the file or errors. I have tried debugging it and the can't find file happens before my first script even starts. Not for sure how to tackle this or even where to look.

Filemaker Server 13, Newest version of Go

Thanks

Thom

• 1. Re: FMGo and server file not found error
          schamblee

There is a security setting rmrestorelogin that will attempt to automatically try to re-login.  Take a look at page 10 of the FMGo tech brief http://www.filemaker.com/products/filemaker-go/docs/techbrief_filemaker_go_121_en.pdf.

It states it will only try to re-login if connection is lost, so In your sync process that may be a file that isn't being closed or you are not being disconnected from the hosted file.  

• 2. Re: FMGo and server file not found error
            no1tmorrow

Tried it with and without rmrestorelogin0 and rmrestorlogin10, no luck.

I don't want the server file to be opened or attempted to be open until the sync process is started. Since the user will be in the field and have no internet/vpn access. But for some reason it tries to open when the Go Database opens initially.

Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it.

• 3. Re: FMGo and server file not found error
              rgordon

It sounds like either something in the start up script is calling something in the hosted file or there is a related field on the opening layout that needs the hosted file opened.  

• 4. Re: FMGo and server file not found error
                schamblee

You state in your first post if you close it then reopen it tries to open the database.  How are you closing the file?  tapping the home button does not close the file, it hibernates so it is going to try and reopen if you just hibernate the file.  That is the second part of my statement in the above post "that it appears a file is not being closed".  The file needs be closed, the default behavior is to reconnect to the databases from hibernation.

• 5. Re: FMGo and server file not found error
                  no1tmorrow

rgordon,
                  Closing the file and reopening. I use a double tap and swipe to close it

Stacy,
                  Shut off the startup script and set startup layout to a local only table that has only one field and no lookups.

To All,
                  Is the fact that I have other layouts that are only to be used when connected to the VPN causing this? I.E. when I start the sync it connects to the server and there are layouts in the Go solution that uses the Server on the Ipad. If this is what is the problem then how does the user sync in the file without this error?

Thanks so much for all of your help, I truly appreciate it.

Thom

• 6. Re: FMGo and server file not found error
                    rgordon

"Closing the file and reopening. I use a double tap and swipe to close it"   This does not close the file, it closes the App.  The file is hibernating and reopening when you open FileMaker Go.  It is also probably trying to reestablish connections to the server.  To close the file, tap on the double squares in the upper left corner and select Windows and tap the white X.  You could also run a script to close the file.

• 7. Re: FMGo and server file not found error
                      no1tmorrow

rgordon,

Thanks for the tip. Just tried it. Same result. It still tries to open the file. On a side not. If I open Filemaker Adv on my laptop and run the file without internet, I get the same Server file trying to open. If I have debugger on it hasn't even ran the first script when getting the message.

• 8. Re: FMGo and server file not found error
                        rgordon

Try this.  Create a blank layout and set this layout in the File Options to be the opening layout when the file opens.  Also make sure no scripts are triggering when the file opens. If this solves the problem it would indicate that you have some object on your old opening layout looking for the server file or something in your start up script is looking for the server file.

• 9. Re: FMGo and server file not found error
                          no1tmorrow

Blank layout. Set it to goto when file opens. No startup script. No luck :-(

How can this be so hard....

My next step it going to start deleting layouts and database relationships...

Once again, thanks so much for all your help.

• 10. Re: FMGo and server file not found error
                            schamblee

Sorry, late start on the forum today.  There is a close file command, you may need to use that command to close the file after a sync.  I wouldn't start by deleting items.

I think in your post you got rgordon and me mixed up in your post.  I'm (Stacy) the one that posted about closing the file.  rgordon state about being in your startup script.   It could be in a startup script, but if it was it should do it every time not just after a sync, so that would mean to me that it is in your sync scripts.

• 11. Re: FMGo and server file not found error
                              rgordon

To use Perform Script from an external file you need to create an external data source to that file.  This can becomes problematic on an iPad when you have a local file calling a script on a hosted file. I avoid creating external data sources for local iPad files that need to connect to hosted file.  Instead of using Perform Script I use Open URL to call the Script.  I also use Open URL to open hosted files.  The advantage of this is I don't have to worry about the local iPad file trying to inadvertently open the host file since there isn't an external data source for the hosted file.  The local file only tries to connect to the hosted file when you use the Script that contains the Open URL step.

• 12. Re: FMGo and server file not found error
                                no1tmorrow

Can the Ipad still use layouts driven from server files using the Open URL? I have a few layouts they can use when they are connected to the VPN or in the office.

• 13. Re: FMGo and server file not found error
                                  rgordon

No.  If you are creating layouts in the local file using data from the server file you'll need the external data source.

• 14. Re: FMGo and server file not found error
                                    schamblee

You might have to redesign your databases.  If you have layouts based on the host table, not including the layout with the  syncing process then it will need to reconnect to the host every time.  If the layout only pertain to syncing then you need to create another database to be place on your ios device.  The 2nd database handles the syncing to the server and only opens when the user is in range.  Think of it as the middle man. 

1 2 Previous Next