6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2010 4:01 PM by TSGal

FMGO Crash Again

user14040

Title

FMGO Crash Again

I created a DVD database which you can search for movies by typing in a letter, a list of all movies will be shown that begins with the letter until finally you spell out the whole word.  It worked on my Ipad for about 12 hours then it crashed as soon as i entered a letter in the search field.

I let my brother connect through wifi from his house and as soon as tried to put letters in the search field it crashed.  

Anyone know what could be the problem.

I am using this function, along with other things to get it to work.

Let(
      [
      tCount = Length(Text);
      newHeader = If(Header ≠ "" ; Header & ¶ );
      NewText = Left(Text;tCount - 1)
      ];
      Case(
      Text = "" and Header = ""; "";
      tCount = 0; Header;
      IndexWord(newText ; NewHeader & Text)
      )
      )

thanks

• 1. Re: FMGO Crash Again
          TSGal

Lawfour:

Thank you for your post.

Is this calculation triggered by a script trigger?  What is the name of the script?  (I assume the name of the field is "Text")  What is the name of this function?  What does the function IndexWord do?

I'd like to get a better picture so I can try it here.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FMGO Crash Again
            user14040

Hi

thanks for responding i got the script from a tutorial on youtube here is the url http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHNYkxKZZrI

Thanks

• 3. Re: FMGO Crash Again
              user14040

for me this script worked for a few hours before fmgo started to crash, on my brothers mac it crashed as soon as he started using the search.

now the scripts runs ok when it wants to, it would work for a while then it would crash.

thanks

• 4. Re: FMGO Crash Again
                philmodjunk

Sounds like the file may be damaged or it may have a bad index. Using Filemaker Pro, import all the data into a clone to rebuild all the indexes to see if that solves the issue. If you still get crashes, try recovering the file. (Test the recovered copy even if no problems are reported during the recover.)

Best practice is to not use a recovered copy of the file, but to replace it with an undamaged backup copy if you can. You may have to save a clone of the back up file and import all the data from your recovered file--then updating any serial number fields in order to get an undamaged back up file that works for you.

• 5. Re: FMGO Crash Again
                  user14040

I made a copy of my dvd file then deleted all data, added a serial number because I forgot to add one.  Imported all the records in the new database and had it add a serial number to each record.

It worked on the Ipad for a few hours then crashed again. :-(.  i really like the search function but if I can't get it to work right I guess I will have to just put a search button to perform searches :-(  and I changed the name text to picture.  So now when it does not crash when entering a letter it shows the dvd covers of the movie, pretty nice if I say so myself.  Then I can click on the DVD cover to go to the DVD Movie info.

Well if you have any other ideals i can try, please let me know?

Question #2

Is there any way to have filemaker link to a movie on the Ipad?  And can Filemaker some how link to a external internet database like Amazon or IMBD database to get movie information.  

A Ipad app called Movies HD gets its movie information for movies from Amazon and IMBD, was just wondering if filemaker can do the same thing.

Thanks

L

• 6. Re: FMGO Crash Again
                    TSGal

Lawfour:

Currently, FileMaker Go cannot link to a movie on the iPad.

You can use a Web Viewer to link to Amazon or IMDB.  It will not automatically link to a specific record, so you'll need to store the web page to a Text field and then reference that field in the Web Viewer.  Then, when you switch from record to record, the correct web page will appear in the Web Viewer.

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.