1 2 3 Previous Next 35 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2011 10:17 AM by djusmin

FMGO Crashes

user14040

Title

FMGO Crashes

Hi

not sure if this is the right area to post this but every time i launch FMGO using wifi or 3G it crashes when i start to enter data, but when I launch it again it's fine.

does anyone else has this problem or a fix

thanks

• 1. Re: FMGO Crashes
          user14040

Another problem while using the built in server in FMGO is it also crashes the desktop version, after a few hours of being on Filemaker Pro has a error, it says database is damaged and cannot be opened. Use the Recover command o recover this file.

I have my database stored on my HP Server, will that effect anything also after it crashes it tells me that the file is shared and i should open it on the computer that the database is stored on.   

Can I store my database on my HP server is this the problem I am having?  I will do some test to see, I will put my db on my computer instead of my HP server to see if that solves anything.

• 2. Re: FMGO Crashes
            user14040

No that didnt work it crashed again when i tried to enter data, when i opened it again it was alright.

So I have two problems

1. FMGO crashes when using the built in server while entering data, but works fine when I open it again.

2. After a few hours of filemaker pro 11 being on it crashes and tells me to use the recover command even though their is nothing wrong with the database, i can open it once it closes from the error with no problems. 

• 3. Re: FMGO Crashes
              TSGal

Lawfour:

Thank you for your posts.

You can either open the file on your mobile device (iPhone/iPod touch/iPad) or open the file remotely on a server.  Neither should make a difference to the way FileMaker Go performs.

Does the crashing happen with one file or every file?  If FileMaker Pro says the file is damaged, use the Recover command, open the recovered file, and see if the problem presents itself again.

A damaged file does not necessarily mean the file won't open.  There is something in the file that FileMaker Pro/Go does not like.

Let me know if the problem continues.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FMGO Crashes
                user14040

Yes you was right, I tried other db and no crashes, I used the recover command and open the file again with no problems.

Thanks

• 5. Re: FMGO Crashes
                  OttoKrauth

I also have the same problem... I have a simple form for entering data (not in aserver but transfer over to the iPad) and FM GO crashes on the iPad whenever I try to enter data into a field (as soon as you leave the field). I tried file recovery (with no errors) it worked once and then the crash re-appeared. any ideas?

thanks

Otto Krauth

• 6. Re: FMGO Crashes
                    TSGal

Otto Krauth:

Thank you for your post.

The Recover command is not a cure-all solution.  FileMaker will try its best to make sure everything is correct in the file.

If you create a new database file and host it with FileMaker Server, do you still get a crash when accessing it?  Also, instead of using FileMaker Server, try using the file in FileMaker Pro and have FileMaker Go access it.  Does the problem persist?  I'm trying to narrow this down to either the file, FileMaker Go, FileMaker Pro and/or FileMaker Server.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: FMGO Crashes
                      OttoKrauth

Sorry for the delay... If I host the file in FileMaker server then I don't experince the crash, I also tried with FileMkaer Pro as requested with no crash. I only get it to crash when I transfer the file onto the iPad and use FM Go. If you wish I can + email you the file. I also noticed that the web viewer in FM Go sometimes shows a blank window as if it doesn't render the website site...

• 8. Re: FMGO Crashes
                        TSGal

Otto Krauth:

Yes, I would like to see the file.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.  I will try to replicate your problem here.

TSGal
                        FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: FMGO Crashes
                          TSGal

Otto Krauth:

I received your file.  Thank you.

I downloaded the file to an iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch.  I was able to add 25 records to FileMaker Go on all three devices.  Since I'm unable to make it crash, connect your iPad back to iTunes and move over a fresh copy of FileMaker Go.  If this still fails, let me know the exact steps you took so I can try to replicate the problem.

The Map does not display on any of my three devices, either standalone or accessing as a guest.  Looking at the source code for the web site, this is mostly javascript, so I'll look into this further when I have more time.  If I just specify maps.google.com with an address, city, state, zip, etc., it does work properly.  I'll keep you posted.

TSGal
                          FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: FMGO Crashes
                            OttoKrauth

Hi TSGal,

I've sent you a small movie showing every step.. the crash still happens even after a clean install of FMP Go.

FYI on the MAP display. I am able to see it on my FMP Adv 11 stand alone but only sometimes... the Windows version standalone always shows it. I hope this helps

• 11. Re: FMGO Crashes
                              TSGal

Otto Krauth:

I received your video.  Thank you.

Using the exact steps used in the video, I was able to make it crash once (out of another 25 times) under Landscape mode.  Using Portrait mode, I was unable to make it crash.

The time it did crash, I tried again, but it worked.  I removed 50-60 records to the original 3 you sent, and added another 19 records without a problem (both Landscape and Portrait).

I also tried to crash editing existing records, but no luck.

Let me know what else to try here.

TSGal
                              FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: FMGO Crashes
                                OttoKrauth

Hi TSGal,

For me it was crashing each and everytime... However, I changed from landscape mode to portrait and now it doesn't crash even going back to landscape mode works.. I will try and experiment a bit more and report back to see if I can find a way to make it crash consistenly.   thanks

• 13. Re: FMGO Crashes
                                  OttoKrauth

Hi TSGal,

OK I was able to reproduce the bug several times...  here are the steps:

- Open Form3 in FMPgo, Portrait mode

- Add a new record, type a number then press NEXT, It shouldn't crash

- Change to Landscape mode, Press the iPad Home button (without closing the file in FMPGo)

- Open FMPGo and choose not to reopen the file (click NO)

- Open From3 from the file... (portrait or kandscape is OK)

- Create new record

- Type a number and press NEXT.... it should CRASH...  I was able to duplicate it 3 times.

• 14. Re: FMGO Crashes
                                    TSGal

Otto Krauth:

Success.  I've found a way to make it fail consistently with your file.  Once I removed all the records in your file, I closed the file, and quit FileMaker Go.  Relaunching FileMaker Go, selecting the file, either tapping "New" or selecting New Record from the Status Bar, I enter a single digit into the Code field (actually Subject field labeled as Code), tapping "Next" will crash FileMaker Go.  If I enter two characters, it works correctly.  If I add a new record after that and enter one character, it works correctly.

After performing some additional test, this only occurs with any file that has a Number field listed first.

I have forwarded this information to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for review and confirmation.

TSGal
                                    FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 3 Previous Next