5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2013 10:04 AM by philmodjunk

FMGo not allowing "Import Records" script

WarrenHavens

Title

FMGo not allowing "Import Records" script

I am building a solution for the iPad which will require importing records from another database on the same iPad.  Everywhere I look I see that this is supposed to work.  However, whenever I trigger the script I get a message on my iPad that states, "Continue Script?  The script step 'Import Records' is not supported on this device.  Please see help for more information.  Do you wish to continue this script?"

I haven't been able to find anyone else having this problem and am wondering if it has to do with a recent update.  I am just now scripting this part so I can't be sure that it is because of an update.

• 1. Re: FMGo not allowing "Import Records" script
          TSGal

Warren Havens:

Thank you for your post.

The importing from a local file should work.  Make sure you have updated to the latest version of FileMaker Go on your iPad.  If you are running FileMaker Go earlier than version 1.1.1, this will not work.  Also, make sure you are importing a database file and not a CSV/Excel or other file type.

Create another similar script from scratch and test to see if it works.

If you still have difficulty, post the script here so I can try to replicate the problem.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FMGo not allowing "Import Records" script
            WarrenHavens

I have tried several different ways.  The current script is a single command:

Import Records [No dialog; "Field.FP7"; Add; Mac Roman]

The current data source is actually set to "file:DOCUMENTS/FIELD.FP7".

Obviously, the name of the other file on the iPad is "Field.fp7"

This is very frustrating because the error that it gives me doesn't really help pinpoint what the problem is.  On the contrary, it leads me in the wrong direction.

Thanks for your help.

• 3. Re: FMGo not allowing "Import Records" script
              TSGal

Warren Havens:

Thank you for the information.  The Documents folder is not the same under iOS as it is under Mac OS X.  Therefore, change your script to the following:

Set Variable [ $filepath ; "file:" & Get (DocumentsPath) & "FIELD.FP7"
              Import Records [ no dialog ; $filepath ; Add; Mac Roman ]

Now, when you run the script, the correct DocumentsPath will find the file and import the records.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FMGo not allowing "Import Records" script
                sdonner

I'm a total newbie at this, so all the help you can give will be greatly appreciated!

I want users to be able to import records from an older version of a file to a newer version of the file all on the same iPad. The discussion above looks like what I'm after, but I need more help defining the script and file path.

Any help? Thanks!

• 5. Re: FMGo not allowing "Import Records" script
                  philmodjunk

in the provided script:

Set Variable [ $filepath ; "file:" & Get (DocumentsPath) & "FIELD.FP7"

The text in red should be the name of your older version of the file.

$filepath is the exact text to type into your File Reference dialog, but to retain the correct field mapping, I recommend that you have a copy of this file available on your computer hard drive when you add this script and then set up two file references like this:

$filepath
                       file:filename

Type in "$filepath" without quotes and then click the add file button to add the second file reference. At the time that you set up the field mapping and other import options, $filePath is not a valid reference, so FileMaker uses the second reference while setting up the script step, but then your script uses $filePath when it executes.

For more on using a $Path Variable: Exploring the use of a $Path Variable in Scripts