4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2011 4:44 AM by ANdrewTurner

FMGo not opening database on iPad but does on iPhone

ANdrewTurner

Title

FMGo not opening database on iPad but does on iPhone

Newbie problem - put a simple database from my MacPro to iphone and ipad.  It opens fine on iphone but crashes on ipad before opening.  Usually I get as far as the login page but not always.  The total file is only (so far) 31 records and just under 300MB (mainly taken up by jpegs averaging 10mb each).  Can't understand why it works fine on iphone but not on ipad.  ideas?

• 1. Re: FMGo not opening database on iPad but does on iPhone
          TSGal

ANdrew Turner:

Thank you for your post.

First, I would use FileMaker Go and access the file on your MacBook Pro remotely.  If this works, then the database file may not have been transferred over properly.  If it doesn't work, then I would remove FileMaker Go from your iPad, connect to iTunes, and move over a fresh copy of FileMaker Go.

If this also fails, then reboot the iPad to clear out any possible memory issues and try again.

Please keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FMGo not opening database on iPad but does on iPhone
            ANdrewTurner

Thanks for coming back to me on this so quickly.  Can't open the file remotely on my desktop - it gets most of the way but about 20% of the screen remains greyed out (top left) and the app crashes taking me back to the main screen.  Uninstalled, rebooted ipad and reinstalled FMGo and transferred the d'base and same thing happens.  Also when trying remotely again after yet another uninstall/reinstall with a reboot in between.  Tried installing the iphone version on the ipad and that works fine...  D'base works fine on desktop.   Ideas?

Using FMPro v10.0v3 on PowerMac under 10.6.6, version 1.1.2 of Go-iPad on iPad and Go 1.1.2 on iPhone.  The d'base is a very simple template for photographs that came with 10.0v3 with a some simple field additions - if it works on the iPhone and in the iphone app on the iPad, it should work on the iPad version too...?! each jpg is about 10MB with a total file size of just under 300MB - chicken feed stuff really, but will be very much bigger indeed when fully fledged.

• 3. Re: FMGo not opening database on iPad but does on iPhone
              TSGal

ANdrew Turner:

Thanks for testing the different scenarios.

It is remotely possible that something within FileMaker Go on the iPad doesn't act the same as FileMaker Go on an iPhone.  However, I would try making a clone (copy with no records) of the file, and see if you can open the clone remotely via FileMaker Go.  If this works, copy it to your iPad and try it locally.  If this still fails, I will need to test this out myself to see if I can replicate the problem.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FMGo not opening database on iPad but does on iPhone
                ANdrewTurner

OK, so this is what happened:

Created clone on desktop; this seen and opened remotely from iPhone; however, NOT seen remotely by iPad (!) even after a reboot of the iPad.

Copied clone across to iPad - opened fine.

Deleted and retransferred original to iPad - initially this didn't appear in 'files on device' list, but eventually did appear(say 15 minutes later) and opened but without the jpg in the container and with some of the fields blank or half blanked out (matching where it was previously greyed out); app then crashes as before.

My layman deduction is that it is the jpg in the container that is causing the problem on the iPad - maybe at between 9-10MB for each record this is too big for the ipad or FMGo-app. iPad copes well enough with other photos, so this points towards the app - probably the container itself.  BTW: the ipad is the larger one - about 60GB and with 45GB free, running iOS 4.2.1.  However, doesn't explain why ipad won't see clone open on desktop.