7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2011 10:03 AM by TSGal

FMGO pdf email issue

petek157

Title

FMGO pdf email issue

I have followed the scripting instructions that I have found on the forum for emailing a pdf saved layout.  The script works perfect using filemaker pro 11.  When I use the same script on my iPhone 4 using filemaker go it cuts off the header of the list view document. So on an invoice I only see it from the line items down. 

Script:

Go to Related Record [Show only related records; From table: "Line Items"; Using layout: "Invoice Print" (Line Items)]

Set Variable [$FileName; Value:"Test_"& Substitute (Get (CurrentDate); "/";"-") &".pdf"]

Save Records as PDF [No Dialog; "&FileName"; Records being browsed]

Set Variable [$PDFPath; Value:Get(DocumentsPath) & $FileName]

Send Mail [Send via E-mail Client; To: email@address.com; Subject: "Great Lakes Furniture Invoice"; Message: "Thank you for your purchase"; "$PDFPath"]

Go to Related Record [Show only related records; From table: "Invoices"; Using layout: "Record Detail-Invoices iPhone" (Invoices)]

END

(forgive me if there are anytypos.I retyped everything in)

I was wondering if I am doing something obvious wrong or if there are issues with doing this using the iPhone but this is really a deal breaker for me not to be able to either email a pdf properly, or it would be even better if we could just print right from the GO app.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Peter

• 1. Re: FMGO pdf email issue
          petek157

I just tried the same thing on my iPad running FMGO and it works fine. I would really like any thoughts on why it doesnt work on the iPhone.

Thanks,

Peter

• 2. Re: FMGO pdf email issue
            TSGal

Peter Koruga:

Thank you for your post.

As I read through the script, the one thing that jumps out at me are two scripts steps.  In the Send Mail step, you are attaching the file $PDFPath.  However, it isn't until the next step, Set Variable, where you initialize $PDFPath.  Therefore, switch these two steps.  Also, make sure you also have your mail application set up properly on the iPhone or nothing will be sent.

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: FMGO pdf email issue
              petek157

I appoligize TSGal.

Those are actually reversed, it is the way that you suggested.  I will edit that so it is correct.

I have the phone set up properly.  It sends an email it just cuts off the header when sent from the iPhone.  When I use the iPad it sends the whole email, but the sizing is way off.

Here is what I am trying to do, maybe someone can suggest a alternate solution.

I own a furniture store.  I am  building a customer, product and sales DB.  I have all the layouts and Tables done and setup for all three devices (Mac, iPhone and iPad).  I want to do product/inventory entry using the iPhone while setting up the furniture.  This works beautiful.  I want to do customer and invoice entry via the iPad out on the showroom floor with the customer.  Once customer entered and invoice created out on the floor I want to print the receipt in the office.  (FYI - really not an issue for this post) Periodically I also want to use the customer and purchase information to send personallized Thank yous and other mailings and email.

Please let me know what thoughts anyone has.  I think that the ability to print from the FMGO products should be considered an essential addition on the next version of FMGO,  especially since the iPhone and iPad now have print capabilities.

Thank you in advance for any recommandations.

Peter

• 4. Re: FMGO pdf email issue
                TSGal

Peter Koruga:

Thanks for the additional information.

I understanding the "sizing is way off", but I'd like to know if it is the PDF file or the Email that is causing the problem on the iPhone.  From the FileMaker Go main page, tap "Open File Browser" followed by tapping "Files on Device".  Tap the PDF file, and this should display what FileMaker Go exported.  Is the Header cut off in the PDF display?

Are you viewing this in List View or Form View?  If in Form View, try finding the record, view it in List View (since there is only one record), and try saving to PDF again.

I notice that a similar problem was reported (not by a forum user) where the header and footer were not displayed in the PDF.  Save as PDF is not the same as it is in FileMaker Pro.  The height, width, headers, footers all depend on the orientation of the iPhone.  Therefore, are you viewing in Landscape or Portrait?

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: FMGO pdf email issue
                  petek157

When I look at the pdf file on the phone it does not have a header.

I am createing the invoice in form view and have a buttom with the above mentioned script taking the record over to a list view print layout.

As to landscape or potrait... I ran a couple tests, and in portrait it works.  In Landscape the header is removed.

Ha your turn.

Peter

• 6. Re: FMGO pdf email issue
                    TSGal

Peter Koruga:

Thanks for the additional information.

I've been trying something similar on both an iPhone, iPod touch and iPad, but I'm unable to replicate the problem.  Therefore, I'd like to see a copy/clone of your database file so I can determine what is causing the problem.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: FMGO pdf email issue
                      TSGal

Peter Koruga:

I received your file.  Thank you.

I am able to reproduce the problem on my iPhone.  It works properly on an iPad.

I have sent the file to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for further review.  I'll keep you posted as information becomes available to me.

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.