6 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2015 9:35 AM by TSGal

FMGO14 - Formsizes etc.

ErnaMeierdierks

Title

FMGO14 - Formsizes etc.

Hello,

we have some, for most of you stupid, questions regarding Form Sizes. The users out there have all kind of (Apple-IOS-)equipment. However, we have no information which type. And we have not all IOS-equipment at the development department (We are a small group) and we are sure there will be 1-2 new products/year announced by Apple.....

Because we want to optimize forms for each device:

• With Get(Device) we are able to determine if it is an Iphone or an Ipad      

• How do we know whether it is an IPAD/Ipad Mini, Iphone5;6,(plus variations)?
        •      

•      
      • What are the form sizes/IOS-Device usable for the forms/Layouts?
      •      
      • Can we calculate form sizes in FMGO from the product announcements?
      •      
      • can we determine the right values for form sizes from get(WindowDesktopHeight)?

Any help or references would be welcomed - it is possible, that we miss something very basic here.

Regards

Erna

• 1. Re: FMGO14 - Formsizes etc.
          Scott_JPN

Hi Erna,

I found this site to help with iPhone screen sizes:

http://www.paintcodeapp.com/news/ultimate-guide-to-iphone-resolutions

Just use the top points sizes, it worked for me! :-)

On Filemaker Pro 13 they do have stencil sizes, but not for recent iphones, so not sure if version 14 has added these or not.

Here is also another good site that includes iPad, plus if you show or hide the tool bar, etc

Regards

Scott

• 2. Re: FMGO14 - Formsizes etc.
            ErnaMeierdierks

Hi Scott,

thanx a lot that helps a bit.

I found another site : iosres.com both combined help with design.

However, I still don't understand why there are only device types fpr 2 IOS devices. Is filemaker not aware of Apple IOS-products?

Does that mean, that one can optimize screens in filemaker only for 4"- and 9.7" displays?

We'll try through desktop height and width to find out.

What kind of device type one get back on an Iphone 6? Will the result be always 4?

Regards

Erna

• 3. Re: FMGO14 - Formsizes etc.
              TSGal

Erna Meierdierks:

Thank you for your posts.

An iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus all have different screen sizes, and the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus can also be in either standard or zoom mode.  Therefore, use Get (ScreenHeight) and Get (ScreenWidth) to get the dimensions for the iOS device.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FMGO14 - Formsizes etc.
                ErnaMeierdierks

TSGal,

we're posting that we would like to see support from Filemaker regarding all the different form sizes and you are telling me "Yes, there are different form sizes"?

Why can't Filemaker, an Apple subsidiary, who sells products for easy development, not provide, at least,  an update-to-date list with all relevant Form sizes? Where are the difficulties? And if this is difficult for Filemaker, why is it easy for Filemakers customers?

Filemaker is already providing 2 Form sizes in its Form design (Iphone 4 and Ipad) - why not for the others? And there is always an offset between results from get form sizes (=screen width and screen height) - so, i.e. Trial and Error?

So, the FM-Customers must have always the latest apple products present? Is this what you are saying? The get screensizes-command is in effect the extension of Get (device)?

As you might have noticed, we are not so happy with your answer. frown

• 5. Re: FMGO14 - Formsizes etc.
                  rgordon

Is this FileMaker document what you are seeking?  http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10678/kw/10678

• 6. Re: FMGO14 - Formsizes etc.
                    TSGal

Erna Meierdierks:

My apology for misunderstanding your question.

The link to Knowledge Base Article #10678 supplied by "rgordon" (Thank you!) is correct.  This will give you all the different screen sizes for each of the iOS devices.

Get (Device) will return "4" for any iPhone (including iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus) and iPod touch.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.