13 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2016 8:22 AM by TSGal

FMGo14 buggy layout resizing.

bigtom

Title

FMGo14 buggy layout resizing.

The behavior in FMGo 14 is much different than 13. If you are zoomed in on a layout and then switch to another layout the first layout has to take time to resize full view and then move to the new layout.

In FMGo13 this did not happen. 13 also remembered the zoomed state of the previous layout and would move to that zoom if you ever returned to the original layout. This is good and bad depending on your mood and what you are doing.

I have been getting complaints about this from users about the way the layout jerks and resizes even if only slightly before a layout change. It is actually quite annoying. Your mind expects a new layout and the first refreshed thing is the same layout in a different size for a second. I sure hope this is not the intended design. If I had to stare at it all day I would go nuts and I should not expect users to deal with it either.

Please do not suggest a workaround for pinching the screen before moving layouts. That is obviously another waste of time. It is mentally easier to deal with resizing the layout you just moved to vs resizing the thing you are moving from or having to watch the screen flash crazily to resize and then move.

Can this be fixed somehow that will not require user interaction. This may be something that FM does not consider a bug but it leaves the app felling very buggy to the users and it is slower to change layouts. Took a while to figure out this only happens when the screen is zoomed in.

• 1. Re: FMGo14 buggy layout resizing.
          TSGal

Tom Oathoudt:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue.  This is what I have done:

1. I created two tables with several fields in each table on two different layouts.

2. I moved the file to an iPad 3 running iOS 8.3, and launched FileMaker Go 14.0.1.

3. In the first layout, I pinched to zoom in.  I then switched to the second layout, and it shows in full size.  I then switch back to the first layout, and it displays as zoomed.

I tried changing zoom settings, and each time the settings were retained when I returned.

Let me know what I'm doing differently than you so I can replicate the issue.

Is it possible you have any Layout script triggers that may affect the zoom?

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FMGo14 buggy layout resizing.
            bigtom

I did more testing and FMGo would sometimes freeze or crash when changing layout. We were not having any such issue in FM13.

I restarted the iPad and reinstalled FMGo14 and updated to iOS 8.3 from 8.1.

The performance is better, but the layout still resizes before it changes. When returning to the original layout it is zoomed in as before. This still give the user a feel of having jumped through two layouts instead of just one. This is not a speed issue as I am testing on an iPad Air2. FMGo13 does not do this resize at all. On a test database FMGo14 crashes sometimes when changing layouts while zoomed. I will have to try to lock the zoom on iPad to keep it form crashing. Nice.

I experience the same problem with navigating via buttons or the menu bar.

I would also like to say that the captcha thing here now is extremely annoying. Pretty much makes me want to avoid using this forum. That is how bad it is. If I am logged in as a user there should be no need for a captcha. Not that it is doing any good anyway. There were a couple spam threads here yesterday.

• 3. Re: FMGo14 buggy layout resizing.
              bigtom

I did some testing with the zoom locked and no crashes. Remove the lock and switch between zoomed layouts, crashes happen.

I get the same results with FMGo14 when a file is hosted with FMS14 or FMS13. Seems to be an issue with FMGo.

• 4. Re: FMGo14 buggy layout resizing.
                TSGal

Tom Oathoudt:

Even using FileMaker Go 13, I notice a zoomed layout will resize before it changes to the destination layout.

After ten minutes of switching between different zoomed layouts, I am unable to make FileMaker Go 14 crash.  Since this appears to crash for you frequently, do you notice if it crashes on a specific layout?  Either way, I would like to see a clone of your database file so I can try it here.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: FMGo14 buggy layout resizing.
                  bigtom

FMGo13 does not resize before moving layouts. I will have to figure out a screen recording for you.

I sent the Clone to you. Please see the second email for the login credentials. It currently using zoom lock. The crashes happen for us switching between Main and any of the other 3 layouts. To reproduce this pinch zoom the layout and use the menu nav to the repsonse layout. Zoom that layout and then move back and forth between the two.

This file was built fresh on FM14 for layout testing and did not really have any records to start with. I get the same crashes with zoom and layout change with another file as well that was built in FM13.

• 6. Re: FMGo14 buggy layout resizing.
                    TSGal

Tom Oathoudt:

I received your file.  Thank you.

After several attempts, moving back and forth between landscape and portrait, I was finally able to make it crash.  I have sent your file along with my findings to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

On a side note, I do see the resizing issue in FileMaker Go 13, although it is not as apparent.  If I zoom the Main layout and switch to the Response layout, you will see the Response layout zoomed momentarily before being displayed as normal.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: FMGo14 buggy layout resizing.
                      philmodjunk

I would guess that such a "layout twitch" may be more noticeable with some layouts (that take more calculations to redraw) than others and will be more so on older/slower iOS devices...

• 8. Re: FMGo14 buggy layout resizing.
                        bigtom

@TSGal- The resize I am seeing in FMGo14 is if you zoom main and move from Main to Response. Main will resize back to 100% before moving to Response.

There is some hint of some sort of resizing on the target layout with 13, but it is not so disturbing because it is much faster. This is a distracting element of the UI. The crashes are bad and should be fixed. Please do not overlook the Layout transition issue.

@Phil- Apples to apples with the same layout iPad (FMGo13) is moving layouts smoother than iPadAir2 (FMGo14) when the screen has been zoomed. iPadAir2 is slightly faster with the layout drawing. If the layouts are both sized at 100% it is really fast. With the zoomed layouts the move is slower.

• 9. Re: FMGo14 buggy layout resizing.
                          TSGal

Tom Oathoudt:

Observations...

In FileMaker Go 13, the zoom setting from the first layout moves to the second layout, and then the layout is sized.  If 100% in the second layout, switching to the first layout appears to keep the zoom restored, so no visible change.

In FileMaker Go 14, the sizing occurs in the first layout before moving to the second layout, regardless if zoomed or not.

TSGal
                          FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: FMGo14 buggy layout resizing.
                            TSGal

Tom Oathoudt:

I have submitted this zoom change issue to our Development and Testing departments for discussion.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal
                            FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: FMGo14 buggy layout resizing.
                              philmodjunk

@Phil- Apples to apples with the same layout iPad (FMGo13) is moving layouts smoother than iPadAir2 (FMGo14)

That misses my point. I was merely pointing out possible variables that could keep others from replicating your issue.

• 12. Re: FMGo14 buggy layout resizing.
                                TSGal

Tom Oathoudt:

My apologies for the late reply.

Testing was able to reproduce the crash, and it has been sent to Development for review.

TSGal
                                FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: FMGo14 buggy layout resizing.
                                  TSGal

bigtom:

This issue has been addressed in FileMaker Go 15.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.