5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2013 11:26 AM by TSGal

FMPROGO 12 Not Passing Email Addresses to Mail Client on either iPad or iPhone

MatthewScott

Title

FMPROGO 12 Not Passing Email Addresses to Mail Client on either iPad or iPhone

The Starter Solution that comes with FMPro12 for "Contacts" works fine with respect to the email button that passes the database's email address(es) to a desktop system's installed mail app.

HOWEVER, the iPad Layout and the iPhone Layout that FmProGo 12 use misfire as follows:

1. The iPad mail button next to either the "Work Email" (or the "Home Email") passes NO address or addresses. But it does erroneously pass the "Contact Name Labels" field info into the "To" email field of the mail apps' draft.

2. The iPhone mail button(s) just leave the "To" field blank: no address but at least no misplaced salutation as in the iPad.

I have changed the Themes occasionally on this database: is this an example of the corruption that can cause that I read about months ago?

Or is the Starter Solution defective to begin with?

What should the repair look like?

TIA

• 1. Re: FMPROGO 12 Not Passing Email Addresses to Mail Client on either iPad or iPhone
          TSGal

Matthew Scott:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue using FileMaker Go 12 on both an iPad and iPhone.  Here are the steps I took:

1. I created a new table with Text fields "Name" and "Email Address".

2. I entered one record with the values "TSGal" and <my email address>.

3. I creaed a script with the script step:

Send Mail [ Send via E-mail Client ; No dialog ; To: Email Address ; Subject: "TEST" ; Message : "Dear " & Name ]

4. I executed this on the Mac to make sure it worked properly.

5. I access the file via FileMaker Go.  On both the iPad and iPhone, when I select the script, Mail is launched and the Subject "TEST" is displayed, To: contains the correct email address, and the Message says "Dear TSGal".

Please let me know what I'm doing differently than you, and I'll try to replicate it here.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FMPROGO 12 Not Passing Email Addresses to Mail Client on either iPad or iPhone
            MatthewScott

I'm sorry but what does this have to do with the Starter Solution in question, i.e. "Contacts"?  

It is that template that comes broken, not your test created from scratch.

Go in to the file labeled "Contacts" that comes with the Fmpro Go download that demos the FMPro Go features.

I just noticed that their sample data ALSO does exactly what I'm complaining about (which rules out my previous speculation that maybe the earlier reported problems with "Change Themes" might have somehow corrupted my database.)

• 3. Re: FMPROGO 12 Not Passing Email Addresses to Mail Client on either iPad or iPhone
              MatthewScott

First, let me apologize, as I was not accurate about the "Contacts" sample database being "broken-on-arrival".

I revisited this this morning and here is today's behavior:

The unaltered sample info in the sample Filemaker Go "Contacts" database, all of which have a single email in their respective "Work Email" field DO pass an individual email address correctly.

IF I create an additional "test" record to add to that sample Contacts database, again with a SINGLE address in the To field, it also works.

IF I add an additional test record WITH MULTIPLE email addresses in the To field (separated by a semi-colon plus a space AND a semicolon WITHOUT a space at the end of the final email address) ALL of the email addresses appear in the To field.

BUT IF I use commas instead of semi-colons then it fails.  

Now my real database behaves the same way in all the above instances, when I create a test record, exactly as above.

HOWEVER in the rest of the "real" records in my "real" database, I had used commas NOT semi-colons as that seemed to be the only way to get this database's email pass along feature to work ON BOTH my Snow Leopard desktop and my Lion Laptop (which use Apple Mail) AND ON my partner's Windows 7 laptop (which uses Outlook)!

Unfortunately, Semi-colons seemed to screw up how multiple addresses work on the different platform/email client combos when it comes to Outlook (aaargh!) so after experimenting I used commas as separators.

BUT THIS APPEARS TO HAVE BROKEN the way FILEMAKER GO wants things.

I am going to look into this further with my partner's laptop later and report back. Maybe there is something else we can do in Outlook to let us use semicolons (i.e. maybe we are just idiots who don't understand Outlook).

Thanks,

• 4. Re: FMPROGO 12 Not Passing Email Addresses to Mail Client on either iPad or iPhone
                MatthewScott

The latest:  

Apparently what I need to do (at least for now, until somebody hips me to a better way?) is

1.           Use semi-colons and NO character after the final email address, in order to get OUTLOOK to work properly,
                3.           MANUALLY ADD whenever sending, a semi-colon after the final email; in order to get APPLE MAIL to work,
                5.           MANUALLY ADD whenever sending, a semi-colon after the final email; in order to get FMPRO GO to work.

This gets an email sent to ALL the multiple addresses when a FMPRO 12 "Work Email" field has more than a single addressee (as opposed to omitting the final address, which is the case in situations 2 and 3 above.)

Not sure why Apple Mail in OSX and iOS items need the extra semi-colon but that is what I have found up to this point.

Thanks TSGal,

• 5. Re: FMPROGO 12 Not Passing Email Addresses to Mail Client on either iPad or iPhone
                  TSGal

Matthew Scott:

I apologize for the late reply.

Thanks for the description, but I'm still unable to replicate the problem.

In my "Contact Details" layout, I see the "Send by Email" button in the upper right corner.  This calls the script "Send Contact Record by Email".  However, there are no fields referenced for the "To:" component, so I added the Work Email field.  I then entered two email addresses in the Work Email field separated by a semi-colon.  I executed the script in FileMaker Pro 12, and Mail (my default mail application) launched and showed a message addressed to the two entries in the Work Email field.  There was no trailing space, semi-colon, comma, etc.

I then turned on Sharing, accessed the file via FileMaker Go 12, tapped the mail icon, and it displayed the two email addresses in the To component.  Again, there are no characters after the second email address.

Let me know what I'm doing differently than you.

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.