3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2014 7:57 AM by TSGal

Forcing app to close on hibernation

DannaDave

Title

Forcing app to close on hibernation

I'm having record locking issues when the user presses the home key or just leaves his iOS device to sleep.  Upon return they get a "record has been changed by another user, revert cancel dialogue.  

Is there a way to prevent Filemaker Go from saving it's state when hibernating and exiting the app completely?  I know that the records in question haven't been edited by another user but this issue has become a huge problem and there has to be a simple fix.

• 1. Re: Forcing app to close on hibernation
          TSGal

David Stewart:

Thank you for your post.

Putting an iOS into hibernation is controlled by iOS.  FileMaker Go cannot override this.

One possible option is place the record information into global storage fields, as global fields are local for each user.  If the user then goes into hibernation and returns, that data will still be in the fields.  However, at this point, if you need to update, you'll have to perform some comparison to ensure someone else has not changed the record during the time of hibernation.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Forcing app to close on hibernation
            DannaDave

Then I suppose my next question is how could I trap the "Your record changes cannot be saved because this record was modified by another user" warning and deal with it in a script.

The user gets essentially locked out of the app when this occurs regardless if they choose revert or cancel.

• 3. Re: Forcing app to close on hibernation
              TSGal

David Stewart:

You cannot trap the record was modified by another user.  You could use a Timestamp field set up for Auto-Enter Modification Timestamp, and a Text field for Auto-Enter Modification Name.  You could grab these values into variables, make necessary changes, and then compare the values to see if any changes were made since first viewing the record.

If the record is currently being modified, then this would return error 301 (Record is in use by another user).

You may want to consider adding a button to the layout "Save Record" with the Commit Record script step.  Users will take notice of that before considering leaving the iOS device and have it go into hibernation.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.