3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2013 2:01 PM by philmodjunk

Getting script to continue after scanning barcode

MaximoBerocay

Title

Getting script to continue after scanning barcode

Hello, I am using Filemaker 11 and I'm trying to modify our already working inventory tracking file to work for iPad. It mostly works, however, the 'carrage return' suffix output by our scanner does not continue a paused script, nor does it select the default option on a popup window. So, I am wondering how I could make it so the user does not have to tap a button on the screen after scanning a barcode since this is confusing users and the extra button press every time gets really tedious and annoying if you're inventorying the entire stockroom (which is how we plan to use this).

• 1. Re: Getting script to continue after scanning barcode
          philmodjunk

Try Setting field behavior so that the Return exits the field. Then try using the OnObjectExit script trigger to automate this behavior.

Also, if the scan is tripping a trigger to put the focus in the correct field (a character that precedes the scan can be detected via a script performed by OnLayoutKeystroke), this script could instead use Install On Timer with a 1 second interval to set a script to perform after the scan is complete. (Just make sure to disable the timer after the first time it performs the script to process the scaned data.)

• 2. Re: Getting script to continue after scanning barcode
            MaximoBerocay

Try Setting field behavior so that the Return exits the field. Then try using the OnObjectExit script trigger to automate this behavior

I did exactly this and I thought it was working, but recently I was testing the file and it wasn't.

• 3. Re: Getting script to continue after scanning barcode
              philmodjunk

You'll need to investigate all parts of your set up to see where it is failing.

You might scan into MSWord, for example and see if a return is still being appended to the end of the scanned text.

You may need to double check your settings on the field and possibly even enable the script debugger (if Using FileMaker Advanced) to see what is happening one script step at a time.