4 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2013 6:06 PM by tnoll@sonic.net

Go won't email database

tnoll@sonic.net

Title

Go won't email database

With database open, I choose save/send from the action menu, then choose email but the email created is empty, no database attached. Anything I'm missing? There's no configuration of what I'm sending so I assume it is fm format. Database has 8 or 9 different tables and over 1000 images self contained but it should just send the db file, not the images--that's what I was told.  If I use export it works but then it's .csv or other and I have to export table by table. 

• 1. Re: Go won't email database
          TSGal

Terrie Noll:

Thank you for your post.

How large is the database file?  Will your email server accept file types of that size?

Is this the only database file that has this issue?

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Go won't email database
            tnoll@sonic.net

Somewhat hard to answer. The db that won't send is 1.1 gigabytes self-contained but that includes the 1000 images which I was told won't be included in a send, which apparently may be different than an 'export.' The send file itself should be small, it's just tables of info from Excel and no scripts. The question is how you define the database of  'send database.' I thought it was supposed to be just the field data that sends.

Meanwhile I tested another db from iPad that is in the testing stage ie none of the media is on the iPad, the containers are empty. It attached and sent with the whoosh sound but never arrived--twice--nor was it returned by the isp. Again size is difficult; on the desktop if I click the FM icon it says it's 35 mb, same if I copied the icon to the desktop and did get info, trying to avoid having size include the media folders which are certainly more the 35 mb. But those containers are stored as reference, and the 1.1 gig ones are not.

So 'send database' must include a lot of other info besides field data. I was able to send .csv just fine but with 9 tables it's tedious. Just working out my backup situation; my 86-year-old mother will be doing data entry and I want to capture it periodically for protection. Haven't been able to determine if iCloud document backups include Go documents.

• 3. Re: Go won't email database
              TSGal

Terrie Noll:

When you send a copy of the file, it is an entire copy of the file.  If the file is 1.1 GB, then a copy will also be 1.1 GB.

With the size of the file, you may want to consider backing up  your iPad weekly through iTunes).  That way, you have a copy of the file on your desktop machine as well as the iPad.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Go won't email database
                tnoll@sonic.net

The whole file and nothing but--thanks. Can't back up to desktop. It's my mom's iPad and she lives 200 miles away, has no computer and is not capable. FM tech support says Go doesn't get backed to iCloud. So, tedious exporting it is . . . Thanks for the help.

Terrie