9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2014 8:53 AM by AppGuy

GPS Location

AleP

Title

GPS Location

I have a travel journal DB and need to save the GPS location in a field. In FMTouch if you have a field with the letters "GPS" such as "GPS_Location", FMTouch grab the longitude and the latitude of the location.

Is there a way to save my GPS location in a field with FM Go? 

• 1. Re: GPS Location
          Steve Wright

I would think that an update to FileMaker Pro would be required to add such functionality, giving us perhaps some additional FileMaker Go specific script steps / functions to make use of.

• 2. Re: GPS Location
            TSGal

Ale P:

Thank you for your post.

Currently, FileMaker Go does not have a GPS Location field type.  As a workaround, you would have to go to a web site to find your location and then paste that information into a field in FileMaker Go.  Obviously, this is not an ideal solution.

I encourage you to enter this as a suggestion into our Feature Requests web form located at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

The suggestions entered into this web form are read and discussed by Development and Product Management.  Although I could copy your post and paste it into the web form, there are some additional questions asked that only you can answer.

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: GPS Location
              agungiskandar

I have problem to make auto stamp for location... in the field I don't want to type any data, just touch the field and the gps map gonna be come true.

If some one can help me its gonna be great...

thanks

• 4. Re: GPS Location
                philmodjunk

This is a very old thread. FileMaker Go has been updated considerably since it was initiated. You not only have a function for location, you have two of them from which to choose.

Look up: "Location" and "LocationValues" in FileMaker Help to see how they might be used with a set field step to log location information at the tap of a button.

• 5. Re: GPS Location
                  agungiskandar

In this case, I just only get coordinate number not the map image,

So if I want to create the gps map on the report, how to create that?

thanks,

sprayforce

• 6. Re: GPS Location
                    TSGal

agung iskandar:

Use either the Location or LocationValues function.  The Location function returns the latitude, longitude, and the accuracy in meters.  The LocationValues function returns the latitude, longitude, altitude, horizontal accuracy (in meters), vertical accuracy (in meters), and the age of value in minutes.  For more information, see the FileMaker Pro 13 Help -> Reference -> Functions reference > Mobile functions

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
                         FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: GPS Location
                      philmodjunk

And once you have those values, you can use them in a web viewer to google maps to map that location.

• 8. Re: GPS Location
                        agungiskandar

I was have the values, but in google maps at web viewer not automatically show me the map image....

if you know the best way to get it, its gonna be very good.

thanks,

agung

• 9. Re: GPS Location
                          AppGuy

Here is a quick sample of how I use the location function..