AnsweredAssumed Answered

having data entered into related files

Question asked by mgores on Jul 11, 2011
Latest reply on Jul 11, 2011 by mgores

Title

having data entered into related files

I have a system I am trying to build around/ add onto our current system.

Currently there is a Tracking file which jobs are logged into and forms are printed from.  Then each job has it's own filemaker file for a report which has all the text portions and photograph sections of the report.  The blank forms are printed when the job is logged in, then filled out by hand as tasks are completed.  At the end the "report writer" fills in all of the text and photo portions of the report, prints them out and adds in the hand written data forms.

What I am trying to do - have the forms be filled out from iPads with the data going into the individual job's FM file, so that when the report writer finishes the report they can print the whole report out at one time and create the PDF, without having to scan handwritten documents.

I have figured out the report file with the required layouts and scripts to print and create the pdf version as well as saving the blank report into the job's folder on the server when a new job is logged in.  The issue I am fighting now is how to have the iPads enter data into report file.  Since there are hundreds of jobs each month, it is not feasible to have every jobs report hosted on the server.  And it is not desireable/acceptable to have to copy the report file from the server to the iPad and back again after each test.

I was thinking of having a central "MasterData" File running on the server with a Forms file on each iPad related to the MasterData table by JobID, then have each report file pull its data from the MasterData table.  However, my inital testing is suggesting that FM Go will not work that way, i.e. adding data into my test form is not creating records in the MasterData table.

Is there a way to relate a local file in FM Go to a file running on the server, or would there have to be some kind of export/import script?

Outcomes