6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2012 10:58 AM by TSGal

Header and list separation

mrjw34

Title

Header and list separation

I have a very simple database that I'm adjusting to work with FM Go. Everything works OK except that in my list view body separates from my header and I can move the whole view from left to right in the phone window. The separation from the header happens if I'm at the top of my list and push the list body down (not scrolling down which is done by pushing up on the list). I know I must be missing something simple, and I'd love to know what it is!

This photo is what I'm seeing. This is pushing the whole list view down and to the left. See how the black header stays but the body pulls apart from it.

Header separation

• 1. Re: Header and list separation
          TSGal

John Weber:

Thank you for your post.

In either List View or Table View, since you are viewing more than one record at a time, the Header will stay locked at the top of the screen while the Body will be movable.  If you are in Form View, since you are only viewing one record, the Header will be locked to the single record.

If you pinch the screen so the layout is resized to fit within the display, then it will not scroll from left to right.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Header and list separation
            mrjw34

Thanks for the response.

Since I'm only designing this for a iPhone 4/4s I made the layout 640 pixels for a retina screen. I have a script to show the layout at 50% when viewed. I noticed that the recommendation for a layout width is 312 pixels based on non-retina. So if FM Go is not retina capable should I make the layout 624 so it's reduced to 312 with my script? Would this make me not have to pinch? 

I really don't like that left to right movement. It doesn't happen in form view with the same layout size, just in list view.

• 3. Re: Header and list separation
              mrjw34

I'll answer my own question. Yes, 624 works fine and I don't have to pinch.

• 4. Re: Header and list separation
                TSGal

John Weber:

I've tried a few things here, and it appears that even a reduced screen size will INITIALLY have left-right movement.  A simple pinch, even though the layout doesn't need it, stops the left-right movement.

This only occurs on an iPhone/iPod touch.  On an iPad, this does not occur.

I have forwarded your post along with my findings to our Development and Testing departments for review.  I will keep you posted.

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Header and list separation

Here's the rules from an experienced designer:

To prevent the sliding left and right using your default layout:

No object should extend beyond 315 Pixels in List view or 320 Pixels in form view. Objects can be set to expand rightward.

To prevent forms from scrolling up or down, keep the total length including headers and fooders at about 428 or 429 pixels.

Objects on all layouts can have the sizes set for left, top and right so they will expand rightward to fill the screen, Test for your results. Also check the orientation in Landscape mode.

There's a bit more to things than this but it is a start.

Don't try using reduced size view if you want a fixed screen dimension, use the above.

• 6. Re: Header and list separation
                    TSGal

John Weber:

Our Testing team has been able to reproduce the issue, and they have sent their findings to Development for further review.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.