6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2012 12:19 PM by disabled_JackRodgers

Help needed setting up FMGO on IPAD as a client to the Host of my FMPro on Mac Mini

MargaretHilliard

Title

Help needed setting up FMGO on IPAD as a client to the Host of my FMPro on Mac Mini

Hello all,

I am a novice to FM and a novice to Mac's and a novice to database development.  I will say that I am trying very hard and have been successful on setting up FMGO IPAD talking to the Mac Mini on my local network.  I've even created invoices on the IPAD and they went directly to the Mac Mini database. 

Is there someone out there that can tell me how to create the remote client connection between the host FM Pro Connection on my Mac Mini outside of the local network?  I.E. I want my FMGO IPAD version to talk directly to my FM Pro version on my Mini when it is way far away either using my 3G connection or my MiFi.

Thanks much any help would be great!

M.A.

• 1. Re: Help needed setting up FMGO on IPAD as a client to the Host of my FMPro on Mac Mini
          TSGal

Margaret Hilliard:

Thank you for your post.

Your question is a bit loaded, so let me first direct you to Chapter One of the FileMaker Go Development Guide, "Setting up databases for FileMaker Go":

http://www.filemaker.com/support/product/docs/filemaker-go/fmgo_development.pdf

I also recommend reading the FileMaker Go Technical Brief at:

http://www.filemaker.com/products/filemaker-go/docs/techbrief_filemaker_go_121_en.pdf

Using my favorite search engine and searching for "FileMaker WAN Set Up", I found:

http://www.formulationspro.com/pages/filemaker/downloads/131.pdf

This article provides a good overview how to set up FileMaker Pro files for a wide area network.

Another link is:

http://www.passtracker.net/PassTracker_Manual/lessons/FileMaker_-_How_to_Setup_a_Network_Router_for_FileMaker_Remote_Access.html

If you continue to have difficulty, please post what you have tried, what you expected to see, and what you are actually seeing.  This will help others troubleshoot your setup.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Help needed setting up FMGO on IPAD as a client to the Host of my FMPro on Mac Mini
            MargaretAnneHilliard

Hello again,

This is Margaret Hilliard.  I had to change login's as I couldn't remember my password.  Anywho....

I've successfully connected the database between the IPADs and the MacMini as shown in the development guide.  

When I switched my IPAD to my MiFi and kept the mini on the local they were then disconnected.  I tried adding in the IP address for the local network in my IPAD as the host, but the IPAD can't see it.  

I'm wondering 2 things

1. Is there an internal and an external IP address to my local provider.

2. Is there an internal firewall associated with the IP address that is running that I don't know how to get to.  I see from several different things that the port is 5003, but I don't know where to put it to go through the firewall if it is running.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

M.A.

• 3. Re: Help needed setting up FMGO on IPAD as a client to the Host of my FMPro on Mac Mini
              TSGal

Margaret Anne Hilliard:

On your Mac, with the database file open, pull down the File menu and select Sharing -> FileMaker Network...  With Network Sharing turned on, the IP Addresses are displayed; one static and the other for the local area network.  If you are using a local Wi-Fi, then use the local network.  If Wi-Fi is connecting to the internet, then use the static IP Address.  Local networks on the Mac typically begin 192.168.xxx.xxx.  On your Mac, go to whatismyip.com to get the external IP address.

You may also want to read Knowledge Base Article #9770 for information about Port Forwarding:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9770

Keep me posted with any progress, and if you still can't make it work, let me know exactly what you have done so I can determine where to look next.

To have your password information sent to you, go to our Knowledge Base home page at:

http://help.filemaker.com/

Then, click on the Your Account tab, and at the bottom of the Log In column, click the link "Forgot your username or password?"  You will then be prompted for your email address.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Help needed setting up FMGO on IPAD as a client to the Host of my FMPro on Mac Mini
                MargaretHilliard

TSGal,

Thank you for your help.  I just spent quite a bit of time at the Apple Store with not much result.  I like your answer the best.  I will be leaving my day job shortly to go home and try this out.  Hopefully it isn't too difficult, but your instructions seem promising.  I had come to the conclusion last night that I needed to do the Port Forward, but wasn't sure how to make that happen.  Hopefully I can figure it out, but I think I will have to get in touch with my ISP.  I am determined NOT TO GIVE UP! I will make this work! That is why I bought this program in the first place.  Thank you very much.

M.A.

• 5. Re: Help needed setting up FMGO on IPAD as a client to the Host of my FMPro on Mac Mini
                  MargaretHilliard

I developed a set of instructions for some other people in my business.  They haven't been tested yet, but if someone wants to test them and make any corrections I'd appreciate it.  These were written for the lay persons utlilizing an already created database that doesn't know anything about networking or database development.  LIKE ME!

Linking of Database on
                  the iPad to the Mac Mini in the Home Office

Information Required:

• External IP Address: Write this down it will be
                    used later.

This can be found by going to
                  google.com and typing in the search line…”What is my external IP address”.  It will appear at the top of the Google
                  search page.

• Internal IP Address: Write this down it MAY be
                    used later.

This can be found by going to
                  google.com and typing in the search line…”What is my internal IP address”.  It will appear at the top of the Google
                  search page.

• Open Port 5003 on the host computer.

Call the ISP (Internet Service Provider) of your home
                  computer network and ask them to walk you through how to “port forward
                  5003”.  Port 5003 is the port that FileMaker
                  uses. Having this port open in the fire wall is an important component to
                  making this work.  Yes, there is risk
                  having ports open to your fire wall, but no more risk than surfing the internet
                  which opens ports with every connection.

How to Make the Connection:

FileMaker Pro should be installed on the Mac Mini and FileMaker
                  Go should be installed on the iPad per the software developer’s directions.

Settings for the Mac Mini:

Perform the following to get the Mac Mini Ready:

• Click on the apple in the upper left corner

• Click on System Preferences: Under Internet & Wireless Choose
                    "Sharing"

• A screen will come up that Shows the Computer Name.  In the middle of that screen choose options
                    and click all boxes that are applicable.

• Same screen Click "Share files and folders using AFP"
                    and Share files and folders using SMB (Windows).

• Same screen Click the User Accounts that are to be shared.

• Same screen On the left side I have all services checked for
                    sharing.

• Then Exit this screen.

Settings for FileMaker Pro:

• Open FileMaker Pro and DATABASE on the Mac Mini
                  • Click File: Sharing: and FileMaker Network Settings. A screen will
                    pop up that says FileMaker Network Settings. Under "Network Sharing"
                    click "on".
                  • Below that you will see Internal IP addresses.  Just confirm at least one is the same as you
                    found when you Googled.
                  • Same screen on the left side should be "Currently Open
                    Files" (you may have to open all the DATABASE files to get a listing).
                    Click on each file listed and make sure the box to the right is set for
                    "All users".
                  • Press OK
                  • Return to the main FileMaker Pro and select, File, Sharing, and
                    ODBC/JDBC.  A screen will pop up that
                    says FileMaker ODBC/JDBC Settings.  Under
                    "ODBC/JDBC Settings" click "on"
                  • Below that you will see Internal IP addresses. Just confirm at
                    least one is the same as you found when you Googled.
                  • On the left side of the same screen you should see "Currently
                    Open Files". Click on each file listed and make sure the box to the right
                    is set for "All users".
                  • Press OK

Setting up the iPad

Open FileMaker Go:

• The FileMaker Go screen is divided into 2
                    columns.  The left column is “Files on
                    the Device”. The right column is “Remote Files and Hosts”. 
                  • Next to “Remote Files and Hosts” are 2
                    icons.  Click on the 2nd icon
                    that looks like 3 discs with a plus sign.
                  • A new screen will open that says “Add Host”
                  • In the first blank for the “Host Address” type
                    in the External IP Address that you have researched from Google.  The address will look something
                    like…96.248.XX.XXX.
                  • Hit the “Next” button.
                  • In the next blank space “Host Name” type in “DATABASE”
                    or whatever you would like to name your Smart Business database.
                  • The iPad will revert back to the 2 column FileMaker
                    Go format.
                  • From there hit the corresponding Host Name to
                    your DATABASE and a list of files will pop up. 
                    (If not then there is something wrong.)
                  • Hit either the invoice file or the contacts file
                    and you will see DATABASE as you would normally. (If you don’t see DATABASE as
                    you would normally see it, then there is something wrong.)
                  • 6. Re: Help needed setting up FMGO on IPAD as a client to the Host of my FMPro on Mac Mini

If you are using a non-Filemaker-Server connection, such as a desktop running Filemaker Pro, you can find its address by selecting File:Sharing:Filemaker Network. The shared files will be available to any computer connecting via one of those addresses.

Unfortunately Filemaker Pro does not go past a wifi router to get the internet address but it will if you have a direct ethernet connection.

Also, you can greatly simplify your fellow employees life with a menu file that does all of the connecting for them.

All they need to do is open the menu file which you give them to save to their IOS device. Each button can be set to Open File xxxx.