1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2012 2:58 PM by TSGal

Help with pdf on ipad

johnw54

Title

Help with pdf on ipad

I am wondering if there is a compability issue with Mountain Lion and downloading files to Go.  Prior to updating to Mountain Lion (yesterday) in GO i was able to tap on a pdf container field and the Action tab would come up... it still does however when I tap on View now I get an ERROR message that says the "The file "?" could not be opened. (Not Found)..  Can you help me with this.

• 1. Re: Help with pdf on ipad
          philmodjunk

Are you using the iOS device as a client of a database hosted on your Mac with Mountain Lion installed?

Could the update have changed the file path needed to locate a file inserted with the "store a reference" option?

• 2. Re: Help with pdf on ipad
            johnw54

First let me say that I just download the database thru itunes on a windows machine and I have the same issue.  The database is a standalone app on Go.  The pdf's are stored directly in the app itself on the ipad.

• 3. Re: Help with pdf on ipad
              philmodjunk

Then there should be no "file can't be found" error. That is typical of a file inserted into a container field with the "store a reference" option enabled--an option that will not work in FM GO when the file is resident on the iOS device.

• 4. Re: Help with pdf on ipad
                johnw54

This is happening in various pdfs that are stored in different tables.  Can you tell me how to fix this.  I didn't change anything that should cause this and it did work fine.

• 5. Re: Help with pdf on ipad
                  TSGal

John Williams2978:

Thank you for your posts.

The screen shot you included are the options for the field.  When you go to "Inserrt Picture", at the bottom of the Imsert Picture dialog box is a checkbox "Store only a reference to a file".  If you check this box, then only a link to the file is stored.  With the box unchecked, the file is embedded in the database file.  To fix this, go back into Insert Picture, uncheck the checkbox, and add the file again so it can be embedded.  Otherwise, it will display an error that the file cannot be found.

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Help with pdf on ipad
                    johnw54

I have probably 700 pdf's in the database.  I only just recently changed out a few pricelists.  I did this using an input layout where I dragged and dropped (replaced) an outdated pricelist with a new one.  I did not use insert a picture.  Even the pdf's that I didnt update are not working.  They do work fine on the desktop.  I'm wondering if there could be a global type setting that  has changed anything. 

• 7. Re: Help with pdf on ipad
                      TSGal

John Williams2978:

Dragging an image into the Container field should embed the file.

To make certain the image is embedded, create a Calculation field that references the Container field, and set it to result in type Text.  Size the Calculation field for multiple lines.

For those records that are embedded, the Calculation field will only display the file name.  For those records that are linked by reference will display the size, the container type (image), and the pathname where the file is stored.  You can then search the field for "image" or "size", and that will display all records that have the images linked rather than embedded.

TSGal
                           FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Help with pdf on ipad
                        johnw54

I must be doing something wrong.  The field full page is the pdf.  The field test references full page but perhaps my test field setup is not correct because nothing is showing in test.

• 9. Re: Help with pdf on ipad
                          TSGal

John Williams2978:

Your screen shot is for a Text field; not a Calculation field.  Create a Calculation field and name it "File".  For the calculation formula, reference only the Container field, and set "Calculation result is" pop-up to Text.

TSGal
                               FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Help with pdf on ipad
                            johnw54

Ok I think I've got it now.... but my pdf are all showing the file name.  What else can I try.  NONE  of my pdf's work properly on the ipad.  They are in 4-5 different tables and most of them have not been updated and were working fine.  Could there be some kind of a global setting that is causing a problem??

• 11. Re: Help with pdf on ipad
                              TSGal

John Williams2978:

If none of your PDF files are appearing, then reinstall FileMaker Go.  However, first copy all of your database files to the Desktop of your Mac, and then remove FileMaker Go and reinstall FileMaker Go.  In iTunes, move the local files from the Desktop back onto the iPad, including the file with the Container field.  Launch FileMaker Go, tap the file, and tap-hold the Container field and View the PDF file.

If the PDF file still does not display, then perhaps the calls made to iOS to display the PDF file are damaged.  In that case, backup your iPad and restore iOS 6.

Continue to keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal
                                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: Help with pdf on ipad
                                johnw54

You're my hero.  I reinstalled FM Go and that did the trick.  A few weeks back we spoke about some of my pdf container fields are rotated and we weren't able to solve the issue.  I'm attaching an image.  The schematics are pdf files that are in portrait.  The pricelist are pdf files that should display in landscape.  They will do that with the action tab > view.  I was hoping that they would show up in landscape mode without having to tap on the image.  Any more thoughts on this matter.

• 13. Re: Help with pdf on ipad
                                  TSGal

John Williams2978:

What application created the rotated image?  If you export the field contents and then reimport, does the image still display as rotated?

TSGal
                                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: Help with pdf on ipad
                                    johnw54

The original image was created in MS Access.  I received as a pdf.  In the original file there was approximately 250 different styles.  I extracted each of the files from the main pdf and saved each as an independent pdf.  Then dragged each pdf into the appropriate record.  I did the same thing with the schematic pages only they are in portrait and it works fine.  Please remember on the desktop the pricelist which is in landscape mode works perfect.  It's only when you view in GO that it is not correct.... until you press the image to bring up the Actions tab.  Then when you press view it automatically rotates it to landscape and all is good. 

So I exported the field contents and then dragged back and I have exactly the same issue.  Then I tried it again only this time using the insert pdf command and i still have the same results.  :(

1 2 Previous Next