5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2013 8:38 AM by TSGal

Help with “Import from Remote” script for FM Go

EugeneClingman

Title

Help with “Import from Remote” script for FM Go

I would be very grateful for help with the path for an "Import from Remote" script described in the FM Go Developer Manual. I am running FM12 on Windows 7 and wish to update records between my iPod/iPhone. I hope to find out the path both directions; I understand the manual to say that a different script is needed for file updates in each direction (from desktop to iPod; from iPod to desktop).

If anyone has a script for this already written, I would be grateful for the help. And insights or directiion will be appreciated.

Thank you!

Eugene

• 1. Re: Help with “Import from Remote” script for FM Go
          TSGal

Eugene Clingman:

Thank you for your post.

The example on page 8 of the FileMaker Go Development Guide should be straight forward.

With FileMaker Pro, open the file that is going to local to the iPhone/iPod, and open the file that is going to be the host.  In the local file, create a script "Import Records from Host" with the script step:

Import Records [ No dialog ; <hosted file> ; Updating Existing (or whatever options you want) ] 

Make sure you specify the complete path of the hosted file so that FileMaker Go can find it.  Also, specify the import order.

Once finished, close the local file, copy it to the iPhone/iPod touch, launch FileMaker Go, and execute the script "Import Records from Host".

Let me know what step is failing for you.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Help with “Import from Remote” script for FM Go
            EugeneClingman

Thanks a bunch for your help!

The problem is that I don't know what this means: Set Variable[$FilePath;Value:Get(DocumentsPath) & “Source.fp7”]

I don't know what the path is to the desktop from the iPod, nor do I know what the path is from the iPod to the desktop. My best guess from the desktop to the iPod is: fmnet:/10.0.0.4/Books.fp12. 

10.0.0.4 is the ip shown in my iPod. I am new to Apple operating system but not new to FileMaker. I have used FM for more than a decade. New to iPod. And I can't figure out how to see the file structure in the iPod in order to know the path.

I am not a programer, just a user. I have switched from an android based PDA to the iPod because I want to run my databases on my handheld. I am grateful for whatever further help you can give me.

Eugene

• 3. Re: Help with “Import from Remote” script for FM Go
              TSGal

Eugene Clingman:

iOS is different from other operating systems as you are "sandboxed" into its own work area.  Therefore, Get (DocumentsPath) is where all files are stored in the FileMaker Go application.  You only specify the IP Address of the file hosted in FileMaker Pro/Server.

If you are trying to update FileMaker Go from the host file, then you would need to reference the IP Address of the host machine (FileMaker Pro/Server).  Use Exammple 1 from page 8.  Let me know which step of Example 1 is not working correctly.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Help with “Import from Remote” script for FM Go
                EugeneClingman

Thank you TSGal!

The path I am using to update files from iPod to FM12 desktop is: fmnet:/10.0.0.4/Books. File type is set to: Filemaker Files (*.fmp12)

I cannot see the fields in the iPod file to specify field order.

Thank you!

• 5. Re: Help with “Import from Remote” script for FM Go
                  TSGal

Eugene Clingman:

Try placing all files on the Desktop first.  Then, you can set up the import order.  Once set up, move the file to the iPod touch and run the script from within FileMaker Go.

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.