4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2012 1:43 PM by disabled_JackRodgers

How do you remove answers from an item using radio buttons on an iPad?

dnw2b

Title

How do you remove answers from an item using radio buttons on an iPad?

I have a child assessment scoring database with several items that have radio buttons for a 1 or 0 response.  If an assessor accidentally taps an answer for an item that is not given and needs to remove this, how is this done on an iPad?  I previously ran a similar scoring program as a runtime on a tablet pc and you could hit shift on the tablet input panel and then select the answer you wanted to remove and that worked.  This does not work on the iPad.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

• 1. Re: How do you remove answers from an item using radio buttons on an iPad?

Sounds like the script is responding to a Shift+click response which is built into a script where the script looks for the 'hot' keys added to the click. I don't think that IOS Go supports this as well as many other Pro only or 'other application only' features.

One work around is to add an additional item to the responses that indicates not reviewed. 

For instance, 1, 0 and "N/R" or similar choice would be values. The starting value would be "N/R" to indicate that no review of this item has taken place.

The value list would be:

N/R

The radio buttons would show __1  __0 __N/R

This technique has additional values since a Report list could sort on the value list and you would see the responses and designing a button for the body line would let the reviewer open that Form layout. You could also search for N/R values.

You might use * or ? or # or some other symbol for N/R. Just be aware of any conflict with search or sort.

• 2. Re: How do you remove answers from an item using radio buttons on an iPad?

The above answer is the best.  But if you don't want to add the extra N/R value, you can tap on the box 2 times slowly, causing the toolbar to pop up. Then you can hit Delete. Getting the toolbar to pop up can be a bit tricky, however. 

• 3. Re: How do you remove answers from an item using radio buttons on an iPad?
              dnw2b

Thanks for the tips!  I sent the last post off to my assessment team to try out (tapping the radio button field and hitting delete on the toolbar that pops up) as we don't have space on our layouts to add a N/R choice. 

Here is the email reply I received from a member of the assessment team after she tried this method:

VICTORY! So, you have to be active in the checkbox you want to change. If you tap once in the area between the dots for the two responses, it brings up the menu with "Delete" as an option. If you need to delete a response in a different checkbox than what you just answered, tap anywhere in the desired box and wait a second until the bold line appears around that box. Tap between the two response dots and the menu with the "Delete" option comes up. It doesn't matter where you click to get back to a different box; it only matters that you click between the response dots to bring up the menu. YESSSSS! 

I hope this also helps anyone else experiencing this issue.  Thanks everyone!

• 4. Re: How do you remove answers from an item using radio buttons on an iPad?

There's one last try:

Suppose you have your layout designed:

Text Label: _1 _0

If so you can convert the text label into a button to clear the entry.

In the layout click on the label with the arrow. It selects. Now pretend it is a regular button and assign a script to it to clear the field. Actually you can use Set Field xx to empty.

You might underline the text and color it blue as if it were a hyperlink...