3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2010 8:00 AM by TSGal

how does FMGo handle file links?

DonorTracker

Title

how does FMGo handle file links?

I store my files and images as links to my FMPro 10 Advanced database. The files are stored in a folder.

Would FMGo be able handle such files and links directly on my iPad? (Assuming the files were brought over to the iPad, as well as the database.)

How would the difference in directory hierarchy (ie location of the referenced files) be handled?

Just to be clear, I'm talking about using FMGo standalone on the iPad -- not connecting to my Mac except for bringing the database and files to the iPad.

• 1. Re: how does FMGo handle file links?
          Steve Wright

Since you do not have access to the file system in the iPad (at least as far as I know) you would have to have the files / images actually embedded in the container field, rather than stored as a reference.

• 2. Re: how does FMGo handle file links?
            FranciscoHirsch

I believe I have the same problem: a database that has 1700 images in it by reference. The images are in a folder called "tapas".

My first problem was to put the "tapas" folder into my iPod. This I solved easely with Phonedisk (http://www.macroplant.com/phonedisk/) a Mac/Windows program that for a limited time is free.

Unfortunately Filemaker Go doesn't display the images. Instead I get:

image:filename

imagemac:path-to-the-file

My hope is that FileMaker has an equivalent to imagemac and imagewin. And that FileMaker Go respects relative links (now or in the future) Does anybody know the answer?

Experimenting I found that the path to where FileMake Go puts the files (at least in my iPod) is:

var/mobile/Applications/75D6A67B-3078-4DB1-ABFA-5E329C2F0388/Documents/

• 3. Re: how does FMGo handle file links?
              TSGal

DonorTracker and Francisco Hirsch:

Thank you for your posts.

Please enter your posts into our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

The suggestions submitted via this web form are read by members of our Development and Product Management departments who review and discuss these suggestions for possible inclusion in a future release.

Although I could easily copy your posts and paste them into the web form, there are some additional questions asked that only you can answer.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.