1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2013 5:26 AM by ThomasM_1

How to get a handle on tab bar at bottom of FM Go?

ThomasM_1

Title

How to get a handle on tab bar at bottom of FM Go?

I have built a layout which mimics a classical questionnaire i.e. header, body including a portal where questions and answers are shown and a footer. Entering this layout I made sure the status area is hidden (by script). Nevertheless, as soon as I tap into the portal answering questions the tab bar at the bottom of FM Go slides in (just showing two buttons for "next" and "previous"). As soon as I tap outside of the portal the tab bar is invisible again. I could not find a way to control this behavior. Is there any? My problem with this behavior is that I'm displaying important information in the footer and the tab bar masks the footer.

• 1. Re: How to get a handle on tab bar at bottom of FM Go?
          schamblee

The script step "show/hide toolbars" handles the navigation bar at the bottom of the screen on Go. 

• 2. Re: How to get a handle on tab bar at bottom of FM Go?
            ThomasM_1

I have used this script step already and it works as expected as long as I don't tap into the portal. I have also tried adding a script trigger to the portal or to an object within the portal in order to "force" hiding the toolbar - without any luck.

• 3. Re: How to get a handle on tab bar at bottom of FM Go?
              schamblee

I use show/hide toolbars[hide] in a startup script and I haven't had any problems with the toolbar showing up for any reason, even in a portal.  The script trigger may be causing the performance delay you mention in your other post.

I will do a couple more test and let you know.

• 4. Re: How to get a handle on tab bar at bottom of FM Go?
                schamblee

If a field gets or has focus, then the keyboard will popup with the previous, next and dismiss keyboard buttons at the top of the keyboard which is part of the keyboard.  The keyboard can not be disabled.

• 5. Re: How to get a handle on tab bar at bottom of FM Go?
                  schamblee

There are differences between Pro and Go and with some practice it gets easier to design for these other devices. 

The post by PhilModJunk An Old Dog learns some new tricks... is good reading and will give you pointer. 

• 6. Re: How to get a handle on tab bar at bottom of FM Go?
                    ThomasM_1

Thanks for the link and your testing.

Just to make sure I have described my problem correctly I attached a figure if you don't mind. The upper part of the figure shows the lower part of the layout when the portal has no focus and the lower part of the figure shows what happens when one starts to answer the questions. There is no keyboard popping up, just the tab bar masking the footer.

• 7. Re: How to get a handle on tab bar at bottom of FM Go?
                      TSGal

Thomas M:

Thank you for your post.

Since there is no tab key on the iOS keyboard, the tab bar displays Previous and Next (Zuruck and Weiter).  Even with no set tab order, the tab key will still select the field.  This occurs on both the desktop and iOS devices.  At this time, it is not possible to remove these tab buttons.  I recommend you enter this into our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

The entries into this web form populate a database file hosted by our Development and Product Management teams, where each entry is discussed and considered for future releases.  Although I could copy your post and paste it into the web form, there are a couple of questions asked that only you can answer.

TSGal
                           FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: How to get a handle on tab bar at bottom of FM Go?
                        schamblee

I'm not having that problem with my portals, maybe I'm doing something different.   Here is a sample made to show someone how to create a filtered portal for Go.  I only get the next and previous buttons when the keyboard pops up in the search field, if I tap into the portal then the record I tap on in the portal is highlighted, but still not buttons.

https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D9559058_78149901_914930

You will have to let me know if it performs differently for you.

• 9. Re: How to get a handle on tab bar at bottom of FM Go?
                          ThomasM_1

Thanks for your example file. It behaves on my devices exactly as you described it.

However, if you add some radio buttons and tap on those you get the behavior I'm referring to. 
                               I quickly added some to your example file: 

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2158984/portal%20filter_radio%20buttons.fmp12

• 10. Re: How to get a handle on tab bar at bottom of FM Go?
                            schamblee

This seem like a bug to me.  It only displays the Previous and Next button when radio buttons are used.   Why would you need to go to the previous or next line in a portal with radio button any more than you would with a regular text field?  I don't understand the logic to that, if isn't a bug. 

• 11. Re: How to get a handle on tab bar at bottom of FM Go?
                              TSGal

Thomas M and S Chamblee:

I downloaded the file, and "TheSearch" field is set to no field entry in Browse mode.  If you set it for field entry in Browse mode, then the keyboard will pop-up.  In the "Animal Selection" field, the field entry is set for Browse mode, so the Previous and Next values will appear.  If you change this to no field entry in Browse mode, then Previous and Next will not appear.  Notice in the "TheSearch" drop-down, you can't select any item.  That is, no selection is made regardless of what value you choose.

Keep in mind that when you select a value from a field formatted as radio buttons, you are essentially typing into the field using that value.

With all that said, I can definitely see how this is confusing, especially since there is no need to bring up a keyboard.  I will log it as an issue, but it may be returned as a design issue, so I would also encourage both of you to enter this into our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

The entries into this web form populate a database file that is hosted by Product Management and Development, where the entries are discussed and considered for future releases.  Although I could copy the entries and paste them into the web form, there are a couple of questions asked that only you individually can answer.

TSGal
                                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: How to get a handle on tab bar at bottom of FM Go?
                                TSGal

Thomas M and S Chamblee:

Testing has previously logged this as an issue, and it has been sent to Development for further review.  It is not necessary to enter this as a product suggestion.

TSGal
                                     FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: How to get a handle on tab bar at bottom of FM Go?
                                  schamblee

TSGal

The search bar has nothing to do with the problem.  He modified a sample that I had create to show I didn't have the same issue with the Previous and Next buttons displaying.    The issue is with the portal with radio buttons, ignore the search bar.   The portal on the left when you click on an item in the portal no previous / next button displays.  The portal on the right brings up the previous / next button and the only difference is that it has radio buttons.

I did more testing, I understand what you are saying.  The portal would display a keyboard if it allowed field entry, which the radio button portal does allow field entry.  The radio button doesn't require a full keyboard, so the Previous / Next buttons are displayed.   You are correct it is confusing. 

Thanks

• 14. Re: How to get a handle on tab bar at bottom of FM Go?
                                    TSGal

S Chamblee:

The copy of the file I downloaded from "Thomas M" has a portal on the left with the field "Dog Breed", and that is set to no entry in Browse Mode.  Therefore, no keyboard displayed.  If I change the field to allow entry in Browse Mode, then the Previous and Next buttons appear.  Can you confirm?

TSGal
                                         FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 Previous Next