6 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2014 8:58 AM by JamieLee

How to Import from a remote source to a remote database

JamieLee

Title

How to Import from a remote source to a remote database

On page 7 of the FileMaker Go 12 manual it mentions one can "import from a remote source into a remote database."  The two examples which follow in the manual don't specifically address this task, and try as I may, I have been unable to deduce a working solution given those two examples. 

Specifically, I would like to view  a remote Filemaker Pro database (Target) using Go, and then trigger a script by clicking a GUI button on Target from within Go that will import data from a Source database contained on that remote server into the Target database on that same server.  

Can you supply me with an example of a script that would accomplish this? 

Thanks!  - Jamie

• 1. Re: How to Import from a remote source to a remote database
          TSGal

Jamie Lee:

Thank you for your post.

In your remote "Target" database file, create a script that imports data from a "Source" database.  Then, when you access the remote "Target" file via FileMaker Go, execute the script.

If this isn't working for you, let me know the steps you have taken, and we'll proceed from there.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: How to Import from a remote source to a remote database
            JamieLee

Hi TSGal,

Thank you for your response!

Yes, as you suggest, that is what I did.   I created an import script within the Target FileMaker db; For example:  Import Records [No dialog, "source-filename.csv"; Update matching; Mac Roman]    And created a button that triggers this script. 

When I trigger locally while on the server, it works perfectly.  However, when I trigger remotely from Go on an iPhone I get the follow error message: "The script step "Import Records" is not supported on this device."  

From this, and some other testing, I guess that when triggering the script from the iPhone, it defaults to attempting to import the data into a non-existent db on the iPhone instead of into Target on the remote server.  I have not be able to figure out how to direct the script to import to the Target FileMaker db on the server when triggering remotely.  

I know that I can import from the remote db into a local FileMaker Go db on the iPhone, but this is not what I am trying to do.

Thanks for your help.  - Jamie

• 3. Re: How to Import from a remote source to a remote database
              TSGal

Jamie Lee:

In the Import Records script step, make sure you specify the entire path of the CSV file.  Otherwise, it will look in the local drive (that is, the FileMaker Go drive).

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: How to Import from a remote source to a remote database
                JamieLee

TSGal,

Ok, here is what I have tried regarding paths.  Upon creating the Import script, it allows me to "Add File" and automatically creates a path upon my selecting a file.  The result is:  file:../../Library/WebServer/Documents/Sub/source-file.csv   which works when triggered locally but not remotely. 

If I enter the full path reference to be:   file:/Macintosh HD/Library/WebServer/Documents/Sub/source-file.csv    this also works when triggered locally but not remotely.

Likewise with   filemac:/Macintosh HD/Library/WebServer/Documents/Sub/source-file.csv     works when triggered locally but not remotely.

In all cases I get the error message in Go of  "The script step "Import Records" is not supported on this device."

What am I missing?

Thanks, - Jamie

• 5. Re: How to Import from a remote source to a remote database
                  TSGal

Jamie Lee:

When you specify a local file from your local machine, it will only be available from your local machine.  For remote files, you need to specify either the server name or the IP Address of the remote machine.  It would be the same as if you went into File  -> Open Remote, and then specify the Network File Path.

Second, in your example, you are referencing a CSV file.  This is not possible with FileMaker Go.  You can only import from one FileMaker Pro file into another.

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: How to Import from a remote source to a remote database
                    JamieLee
                     TSGal, Thanks for your response.  Yes, one of the first things I tried was using the IP path address, which returns the error "File not found." It is good to finally have a clear answer that importing a .csv file remotely is impossible, even though it works well locally. Hopefully this post will save someone else time and effort. - Jamie