5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2010 7:15 AM by TSGal

how to import the media file into the FileMaker with Excel that have the filelinking of the media

wisdomz

Title

how to import the media file into the FileMaker with Excel that have the filelinking of the media

Dear Guy

I had a business card Excel file, that have contact all information, and i have the namecard image file linking in the Excel. 

I had imported the all contact text and other number information from Excel into Filemaker, and including the namecard filename.  

it is better if I can import the business card image into the media field. it is easy to see the contact all information. and including some photo.  who have the experience. 

i put my all business card photo file into same directory of Window system. and I had put the all relative filename into the Excel. 

what is the solution I can import the image into the Filemaker field that is media. 

thank you

• 1. Re: how to import the media file into the FileMaker with Excel that have the filelinking of the media
          TSGal

Wisdom Zhang:

Thank you for your post.

The FileMaker Go 1.1.1 update now allows users to capture photos on an iPhone, or take photos that are already in the photo library of an iPhone or iPad and insert them directly into a database.  Therefore, you will need to move any photos/images that are linked in Excel to the photo library in order for FileMaker Go to access them.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: how to import the media file into the FileMaker with Excel that have the filelinking of the media
            wisdomz

Dear FM master

Maybe I provide the confuse message to you.

I have 4000 + name card info, and I have the all name card small size scan image. I hope that I can see the every contact with their image in Filemaker Go.  Actually. I have to import the text information with Excel into the FM, but I have not known how to import all image info into the FMgo by ONE time. not manual.

Do you have better solution to me.  for examples, script ? if it support in FMGo? I use my iPAD to read the info offline.

Thank you

Wisdom

• 3. Re: how to import the media file into the FileMaker with Excel that have the filelinking of the media
              TSGal

Wisdom Zhang:

Thank you for the clarification.

In FileMaker Pro, you have the ability to import photos from a folder.  This is not available in FileMaker Go.  Therefore, if you have FileMaker Pro, put the 4000+ picture files in a folder and import them into the database file.  Then, use iTunes to transfer the database file to your iPad.

If you do not have FileMaker Pro, then you will have to insert the pictures one at a time.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: how to import the media file into the FileMaker with Excel that have the filelinking of the media
                wisdomz

Dear TSGal

it is right, I have download the FM pro 11 Windows trial, because I buy the iPAD and , buy the FMGo, as you know. I must have a window or Mac version FM pro to design the FMGo application. 

please advise how to complete the photo import on Windows. I had put all photo into same directory, and on the Excel column , I had put the relative photo file name link.  

I want to import the photo into the FMGo.  Even I use the simple calculation to get the image,  imagewin:/.., but It can not run on FMGo. 

So, please give me simple application note, or other thread index that is subject to my question. it will be appreciated .

Wisdom 

• 5. Re: how to import the media file into the FileMaker with Excel that have the filelinking of the media
                  TSGal

Wisdom Zhang:

1. Go to the Layout that has the Container field, or a Layout that is based on the table with the Container field.

2. Pull down the File menu and select "Import Records -> Folder..."

3. For Folder location, select the folder that contains the images/photos.

4. If you have sub-folders with images in that folder, then also check that option.

5. For File type, select "Picture and movie files".

6. If you want the images embedded in the file, then uncheck the option "Import only a reference to each picture file".

7. Click "Continue..."

8. Match up the picture field to the appropriate Container field.  IF you also want to include the File Name, File Path and an Image Thumbnail, then match up the appropriate fields.  Once done, click "Import".

Let me know if you need clarification for any of the above steps.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.