3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2010 7:02 AM by TSGal

How to scroll to the current record in FMGo?

tcmeyers

Title

How to scroll to the current record in FMGo?

One of my FMGo layouts presents a long list of items, each a separate record. It's possible to scroll the view of the list by touch-flicking, which is great, but I can't seem to be able to script a button that reliably gets me back to the current active record. Testing this on a desktop FileMaker machine, this works:

Go to Field [Select/perform; (a field on the layout) ]

Scroll Window [To Selection]

Commit Records/Requests []

The last step is because I don't really want the field selected, but I had to select it to get Scroll Window [To Selection] to work.

This, however, doesn't seem to work well in iPhone FMGo. It's not that it doesn't work at all... it's actually as if the "aim" for scrolling is off. If the record isn't very far away (in terms of how far the user flick-scrolled away) then it may actually be revealed. But the further the flick-scroll has taken the view away from the current record, the more the scroll-back or scroll-forward overshoots!

This seems like a bug to me. Has this been reported? Is there another method that would avoid it?

-Troy

P.S. The screen shot below doesn't demonstrate the problem, but it shows the nature of the list I'm working with.

list-example.PNG

• 1. Re: How to scroll to the current record in FMGo?
          TSGal

Troy Meyers:

Thank you for your post.

This has been previously reported (not on this forum), and our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments are aware of this issue.  I have attached your post to the original case.  If any information becomes available, I will let you know.

On a side note, with 200 records in my table, the above script works fine for me, so I assume you have more records.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: How to scroll to the current record in FMGo?
            tcmeyers

TSGal,

Thanks, I'm glad they are aware of it. No, actually in my case the list is roughly 100 records long. I did a little more experimentation (on the iPad too) and it more or less looks like it overshoots by about as many records as the target record is off the screen. For example, if the current record is just off the top of the visible group, the script brings it into the first position. If it's 2 records off the top, the script lands it at the 2nd position. If 5 above then the script places it at the bottom of the visible list, because (on the iPhone) only 5 records are visible at a time. So, if it's 6 or more above, then it's not visible using the script, because it lands beyond the bottom of the iPhone display size.

I don't know if this is a contributing factor or a clue, a but I do display a summary part periodically (actually, as needed) in the list.

I'll attach a screen shot (doesn't really show the problem, but shows the characteristics of the list) to the original post if I can.

• 3. Re: How to scroll to the current record in FMGo?
              TSGal

Troy Meyers:

Thanks for the additional information.  The Sub-Summary may be the key, as my example did not have one.  I've forwarded your information to the testers as a possible cause.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.