5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2011 1:27 PM by disabled_JackRodgers

I am missing capital letter behavior

carlsson_1

Title

I am missing capital letter behavior

In all iOS applications you automatically get a capital letter (as first letter in a sentence) when writing in a text field. In all, except Filemaker Go.

Is this a bug? If not, why is it so?

Disclaimer: This may have already been discussed. I searched for this in the forums, but a/ I couldn't perform a search in the FM Go section only, and b/when including the word "go" in the search, the search engine omitted this because two letters are "too short to be searched for".

Tia,

/andreas

• 1. Re: I am missing capital letter behavior

Filemaker does not by default set the first letter in a field to a capital. You could apply the Style for formatting the first letter of each word to uppercase but that may not be what you want.

There are a lot of IOS features, even ones Filemaker uses, that are not available to us developers...   sigh...

• 2. Re: I am missing capital letter behavior
            philmodjunk

An Auto-enter calculation could convert the first letter of your field to upper case. You wouldn't see this change when you enter the data, but it'd appear after you exited...

• 3. Re: I am missing capital letter behavior
              carlsson_1

Yeah, I have an autoenter calculation.

But I can't figure out why this behavior isn't working as "it should"....

Thanks for the answers though!

• 4. Re: I am missing capital letter behavior
                philmodjunk

I'd use this for an auto-enter calculation that forces the first character to be upper case:

Upper ( Left ( Self ; 1 ) & Right ( Self ; Length ( Self ) - 1 )

Then clear the "do not replace existing value" option.

Keep in mind that changing or adding an auto-enter calculation does not affect data already entered--only new data entered. To update existing records you can use a replace field contents operation with the same calculation, but with the field name in place of "self" to update existing data to be consistent with changes to the auto-enter calculation.

• 5. Re: I am missing capital letter behavior

There is a missing )...

My test returned all caps... Then I read a little deeper.

the missing ) goes here: Upper ( Left ( Self ; 1 ) ) & Right ( Self ; Length ( Self ) - 1 )

This is only a partial solution that assumes that only one paragraph is used. It doesn't capitalize for multiple paragraphs or for the first letter in all sentences as the questor mentioned.

Auto capitalizaton has been a part of word processors for thousands of years but is it something we really want in a database, particularly when there is no way to turn it off? What with parts numbers, serial numbers, words that do begin with non-caps and people who just like to avoid caps.