5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2011 11:05 AM by TSGal

image layout compression suggestions?

DustinGimbel

Title

image layout compression suggestions?

We have a background image as our layout for the project itself. It's a fairly basic png file I created in Illustrator. I exported as PNG-24 and then compressed it even further using ImageOptim. This has really helped, but there is still a slight lag when switching between pages. I even tried gif. It shaved it a little. Any suggestions? 

When enabling Kiosk mode, will this help with our screen transitions or is there another way of optimizing our database layout to switch more seamlessly between screens? Thanks!

Dustin

• 2. Re: image layout compression suggestions?
          TSGal

Dustin Gimbel:

Thank you for your post.

Any image will take longer to render on iOS compared to a desktop/laptop computer.  There will be some "lag" time when switching between screens with images.  Reducing/removing images from a layout will help reduce this lag time.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: image layout compression suggestions?
            JSGots

TSGal,

I think that we all understand what you are saying; any application running on a machine with a less powerful processor is going to run in theory more slowly. However, when I was running FM 4 on a Mac Classic 2 with a 68030 40 MHZ processor with 4 MB of memory 20 years ago, it would perform in realtime without noticeable screen redraw or "lag time."  I understand that since that time both the operating systems and the FileMaker Pro application have gained complexity of features and graphic capability, but my current iPad 64 GB is literally 25 times faster than that old reliable Mac, and I can't see why there should be any screen redraw or "lag" at all.  Even running FM Pro emulated in Virtual PC on an old G4 Mac didn't require the block-like screen refresh. 
            And this screen redraw occurs even if you have NO graphics in your layout at all, only native FileMaker layout objects.  It acts as if it were running in an emulated mode (if it is, I understand that its current performance could be considered relatively fast.)  But no other iPad application acts like that.  Other word processing/spreadsheet/CRM productivity apps run normally, even "snappy," and that is part of the iPad's appeal.  Is it a problem with the operating system?  Can we expect things to speed up with the next update of the OS (I'm running iOS 4.2.1).  Sorry for the rant; I really want to like FM Go.  I probably open it up daily just to look at it, but I it really isn't useful to me yet because it's so slow (even using a file loaded on the iPad itself).

Thanks for listening,

J.S. Gots

• 4. Re: image layout compression suggestions?
              DustinGimbel

J.S. Gots,

Thank you for your rant indeed. I agree with you completely that part of the iPad's draw is it's snappy response and rendering times on such a portable touch screen tablet. FM needs to fix this. It certainly can't be anything the iPad can't handle. The images I'm asking FM GO to render are compressed as much as I could possibly stand it in PNG format. My largest image file on a layout screen in 1.5MB. It's crazy to me that this software can't handle seamless rendering. 

• 5. Re: image layout compression suggestions?
                TSGal

JS Gots and Dustin Gimbel:

No problem with the rant, as some of that is my doing.  We are aware of some graphic performance issues and tiling with FileMaker Go (especially with background images), but also wanted to point out that you shouldn't expect the same performance as you would see on the Mac.  I realize my post could be interpreted as just focusing on how to help the performance instead of acknowledging the issue, so I apologize for that.

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.