4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2010 1:44 PM by philmodjunk

Import between hosted files on FMG Ipad ?

jungovox

Title

Import between hosted files on FMG Ipad ?

Can filemaker go execute an import script between two files that are hosted on fmserver 8 ?

• 1. Re: Import between hosted files on FMG Ipad ?
          TSGal

jungo:

Thank you for your post.

I cannot find FileMaker Server 8 installed on any machine here.  However, you can execute an import script between two files that are hosted on FileMaker Server 10 and FileMaker Server 11.

I created Test1.fp7 and Test2.fp7.  Both files are loaded on FileMaker Server 11.  In Test1.fp7, I created a script that imports data from Text2.fp7, and I set the Import Records script step to perform without dialog..  Using FileMaker Pro on a Mac, I am able to access the files remotely and execute the script.  I then accessed the files using FileMaker Go and executed the script.  In both cases, the data from Test2.fp7 was imported into Test1.fp7.

Do you have FileMaker Go?  Is this not working for you with files hosted by FileMaker Server 8?

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Import between hosted files on FMG Ipad ?
            jungovox

Hi TSGal,

My error - ... we are on fms11 advanced - sorry

So you are saying that filemaker go and open a server database and execute an import from another fms database - ... Yes... This does work for me (sort of)  BUTON THE first time I hit an import script it was hang on log in authentification .. for the file that we are trying to import from -

This is the issue I've been having ... See my last mail box post to you from last week -

I will go back to and try to simplify my script to do an simply import from file b to file a - from a script in file a - ...

I am pretty sure that fms11 will NOT allow you import from one hosted file to another - and that you MUST have a client do that actual script -

My problem is with filemaker go requesting file authencation of file b if I try to import to it ...

• 3. Re: Import between hosted files on FMG Ipad ?
              TSGal

jungo:

I'm still looking over the database files you sent in.

Yes, a FileMaker Server-side script will not import from one file to another.  You would have to perform this from a client.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Import between hosted files on FMG Ipad ?
                philmodjunk

And there are ways to set up a "robot client" so that this happens by schedule if that's something you need.

While I wouldn't do it this way myself, (Robot client is much simpler), but you can use a server side script to import data from one FileMaker file to another--if you export to a text file from the source and then import the text file into the target.

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7035/p/874%2C953