7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2013 6:42 AM by TSGal

Importing a PDF into  a container file? can anyone help?

KarenEllis

Title

Importing a PDF into  a container file? can anyone help?

I am very very new to Filemaker and am trying to import a PDF file to a container field. I have created a database and go to Insert / File but it is greyed out where it says PDF?

Am I doing this correctly? Can anyone shed light on what I am doing wrong as I know from looking at the tutorial notes that you can import a PDF. I just want it to sit as an PDF icon in the field and then be able to click on it to open it when required.

Help...thankyou

• 1. Re: Importing a PDF into  a container file? can anyone help?
          philmodjunk

You have posted this in the FileMaker GO forum section, but this appears to be a problem inserting a PDF in FileMaker Pro using Filemaker Pro 12. (See tab at top of this screen for selecting "FM Pro Forum" for future questions with Pro.)

I had the same problem. Here's how to fix it:

1. Enter layout mode.
          2. Select your container field
          3. Go to the inspector, click on the data tab and scroll it all the way to the bottom to expose data formatting.
          4. Use the controls there to make your container field an interactive container field
          5. Return to browse mode and you should now be able to insert a PDF.
          • 2. Re: Importing a PDF into  a container file? can anyone help?
            KarenEllis

Hi,

thanks for tip on being in the wrong section - I will repost.

I have taken your advice and got so far and hit a blank. I'm ok until i get to the 'Inspector' - and scroll down to data formatting. There are no options to make my field an interactive field?

I must add I am using a trial version at present if that makes any difference as I need to know before I buy it that it does what Im looking for.

• 3. Re: Importing a PDF into  a container file? can anyone help?
              TSGal

Karen Ellis:

Thank you for your posts.

Make sure you select the Container field first.  Then, when you go into the Inspector, click the Data tab, and at the bottom under "Data Formatting", there will be several options that may scroll off the screen.  Scroll down, and under "Optimize for", select the option "Interactive content (PDF, MP3, etc)".  Save the Layout, go into Browse mode, put your cursor in the Container field, pull down the Insert menu and you'll now see "PDF..." available.

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Importing a PDF into  a container file? can anyone help?
                TyranChoy

Hi,

Is this only work on Filemaker Pro 12, there is no such option "Interactive content" in Pro 11?

• 5. Re: Importing a PDF into  a container file? can anyone help?
                  TSGal

Tyran Choy:

Thank you for your post.

FileMaker Pro 11 does not have interactive content for Container fields.  However, you can still insert the PDF file into a Container field, but you won't be able to view it inside FileMaker Pro 11.  You would then need to Export the field contents and open the PDF file in its native format (Preview, Adobe Reader, etc.).

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Importing a PDF into  a container file? can anyone help?
                    TyranChoy

Please advise detail on how to make it work in Pro 11.

Also I want to know if I can insert mp3 file in Pro 11?

Is there an upgrade from Pro 11 to Pro 12?

• 7. Re: Importing a PDF into  a container file? can anyone help?
                      TSGal

Tyran Choy:

To insert a file into a Container field, put your cursor in the Container field.  Then, pull down the Insert menu and select "File...".  You will then be prompted to select the file.  Here you can select a PDF file or a .mp3 file.  This will then place the file in the Container field.

If you are located in North America, please contact our Customer Assistance department at toll-free 800-325-2747 for information about upgrading from FileMaker Pro 11 to FileMaker Pro 12.  If you are outside of North America, please contact the FileMaker office closest to you.

TSGal
                           FileMaker, Inc.