2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2014 12:58 AM by dissertationdata

Importing Filemaker GO to computer deletes latest record

dissertationdata

Title

Importing Filemaker GO to computer deletes latest record

I am using Filemaker GO with Filemaker Pro 12 Advanced to perform data entry for a research project.  Because I do not have access to a server, and I only need to use one computer and one iPad, I planned on copying the database back to the computer through iTunes both to back it up, and to allow me to alter the structure of the database where necessary as the research progresses.  

When I save the database to the computer through iTunes, the most recently created record is deleted from every table.  I tried creating a blank record, and while this fixed the problem for the parent table, the related tables (accessed through portals) still were missing entires. 

If I then make any changes and update the database on the iPad, the entries are deleted from both versions.

Is there a simple way to fix this?  I have looked through the forums and could not find information on this issue, but if there is a thread already that addresses this and someone could direct me to it I would be very grateful.

• 1. Re: Importing Filemaker GO to computer deletes latest record
          AppGuy

Your questions are kind of confusing but I will attempt to answer some of them.

Before you copy the database from the iPad be sure the database is closed.  If you copy while open this will cause issues.

"If I then make any changes and update the database on the iPad, the entries are deleted from both versions." 

This is the part I don't understand? How are you doing the import/export or are you only updating one copy at a time?

You can in FM pro Adv share your database for up to 5 users. Simply point your iPad to FM Pro Computer.

As far as your deleted data and other related tables getting deleted this might have to do with because you did not close the database before copying.

• 2. Re: Importing Filemaker GO to computer deletes latest record
            dissertationdata

Thank you.  I'm sorry the question was phrased poorly.  I was not closing the document properly on the iPad.  It is fixed now.