1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2013 2:34 PM by TSGal

importing from one table to another in filemaker go

DavidMa

Title

importing from one table to another in filemaker go

Hi All, I seek for knowledge from all that knows. I have a project that involves me building a filemaker go database. it is a ordering tool. i have to create a product list and beable to make a order from it. i got that part done, i need help in storing the data. i know you can set it to email and send it but i want it store locally so i can import it later to a desktop. so what i have created on a simple method, is a table for items and a table for orders. when they finish the order at hand, then they would imported or copy the order to the other table. i have tried using set field, which don't work well, besides being slow i have issue with going to the next record. I like import method that PhilModJunk has posted. it worked great for pc but when i switch to the ipad it broke and would not start the import function. has anyone have a better idea for this? or is there anyway to import from table to table with filemaker go (table are within the same database...i think reason why file go don't work is ios does not have a file system) 

the way how I use import is 

goto layout ["orderStored"(orderStored)]

import records["products.fp7";add;windows ANSI]

Thank you in advance.

• 1. Re: importing from one table to another in filemaker go
          TSGal

David Ma:

Thank you for your post.

Since the iOS file system is different, change your scriipt as follows:

Go to Layout [ "orderStored" (orderStored) ]
               Set Variable [ $file ; "file:" & Get ( TemporaryPath ) & "products.fp7" ]
               Import Records [ No dialog ; "$file" ; Add ; Windows ANSI ]

Your script will now import the data from the local file "products.fp7".

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: importing from one table to another in filemaker go
            DavidMa

Thank you for the fast response. I have followed your steps, here is where i am getting a little different results. it shows 

Set Variable [$file; Value:"file:" & Get(TemporaryPath)&"products.fp7"]

where yours don't have to value.

here is a snapshot of my script. can you help?

Thank you again

• 3. Re: importing from one table to another in filemaker go
              TSGal

David Ma:

You are correct.  I omitted the word "Value" from my display.  However, it is still the same.

In your script, the step that follows, change it to:

Import Records [ No dialog ; "$file" ; Add ; Windows ANSI }

That is, substitute "$file" for "Linesheet.fp7"

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: importing from one table to another in filemaker go
                DavidMa

Thank you again for the fast response. i am still having problem with this script. i will be attaching 3 images. i think i did something wrong either on the setvariable screen or the import screen or both. can you help to see where the issue maybe. the error i got from an ipad is it can locate linesheet.fp7

• 7. Re: importing from one table to another in filemaker go
                  TSGal

David Ma:

Your script looks fine.  Check the FileMaker Go homepage and make sure LineSheet.fp7 is listed.  Or, if it is listed, make sure it is spelled EXACTLY the same as what is being referenced.

Try creating a script with just the three script steps and executing it to make sure it works.  If so, then call the script instead of using the three script steps.

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: importing from one table to another in filemaker go
                    DavidMa
                     Same problem. i made sure the file is there and the script changed to reflect that. and did it with new file. here is the error message
                    • 9. Re: importing from one table to another in filemaker go
                      DavidMa
                       This is file maker go 11 if that make any sense. here is a picture where display that file is in filemaker catelogue
                      • 10. Re: importing from one table to another in filemaker go
                        TSGal

David Ma:

I am still unable to replicate the issue.

Here is what I did:

1. I created two database files: Main.fp7 and LineSheetV2.fp7.

2. Both files have one table and two Text fields: Name and City

3. In LineSheetV2.fp7, I added one record.  Name: TSGal, City: Santa Clara

4. In Main.fp7, I created a script, "Import", with the following information:

Go to Layout [ "Main" (Main) ] ]
                             Set Variable [ $file ; Value: "file:" & Get ( TemporaryPath ) & "LineSheetV2.fp7" ]
                             Import Records [ No dialog ; "$file" ; Add ; Windows ANSI ]

5. I closed both database files, and copied them over to an iPad.

6. I launched FileMaker Go, opened both files, and executed the script "Import".

7. The one record from LineSheetV2 imports into Main.

In case there are hidden characters in your filename, try deleting the contents and rename it to "Line", and then rename it again back to "LineSheetV2".

Other than that, I'm not sure what else to try.  If you want to send in your files, I will try it here.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the files.

TSGal
                             FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: importing from one table to another in filemaker go
                          DavidMa
                          Have sent the database via email. Again very appertiated what you have done thus far. Thank you.
                          • 12. Re: importing from one table to another in filemaker go
                            TSGal

David Ma:

I received your email.  Thank you.

Unfortunately, only one file was included (LineSheetV2.fp7).  You forgot to include LineSheet.fp7.

TSGal
                                 FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: importing from one table to another in filemaker go
                              DavidMa

there is only one file. the original is "LineSheet.fp7" but it had so many image files in the containers. where I can't sent it through email due to the size (200MB). i have used save as without record and created a few text records for testing. also compacted it so that is why it is only 200k. 
                                   I might have not updated the script but it is safe to replace LineSheet.fp7 to LineSheetV2B.fp7 it does not work.

Only one file, LineSheetV2B.fp7

There are several tables but the script is suppose to goto layout postore and import all that is in table linesheet to po store and revert the user changes to default. so that work is stored on po store for later retreivales. the app is suppose work internally.

here is a screen shot to display that i did make the change but it keep saying it can't find the file.

if yours works...you mind emailing me your fp7 file. 

Thank you in advance.

David

• 14. Re: importing from one table to another in filemaker go
                                TSGal

David Ma:

Thanks for the information.

I had to get around some other issues, but it works fine for me.  I have sent the file to our Technical Support liaison, so you should receive the file shortly.  If you don't receive the file within one hour, please let me know, and I'll make sure the file is sent back to you immediately.

TSGal
                                     FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 Previous Next