9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2014 6:09 AM by AppGuy

importing records from host computer in FM Go

TomPingel

Title

importing records from host computer in FM Go

When the client is a computer, my application successfully imports from the host computer. When I put the application onto an ipad, the import, which is in a script, hangs - no error is indicated.

The script steps are:

1. go to layout

2. set error capture on

3. import data from host over fmnet (file reference is fmnet:isp).

When diagnosing, I stuck a series of 'Show Custom Dialogs' to track progress through the script. The first is between 2. and 3. The script does the layout change, but hangs without displaying the dialog box.

Other scripts that do not reference the host change layouts and complete normally.

All scripts in the application that reference the host have the same problem.

I went to 'settings' on the ipad. For FM Go there is an 'allow filemaker go to access' and then 'location' with a 'Never' to the right. These are grayed and cannot be modified.

Is this related to the problem? What am I missing?

• 1. Re: importing records from host computer in FM Go
          AppGuy

Tom-

What version of FM Go are you using?

Did you try checking the Run Script with full access privileges checkbox.

• 2. Re: importing records from host computer in FM Go
            TomPingel

FM 13 Advanced. I did not have 'full access' privileges checked, but did that to all the scripts in the line to the script that hangs and tried again. I also added the 'perform script' with the import to the first window open script and what had completed normally now hangs when the call to the import script is called - the same as when the script to import records was launched by a button.

• 3. Re: importing records from host computer in FM Go
              TomPingel

didn't notice you asked for version of FM Go

Go_iPad 12.0.2

• 4. Re: importing records from host computer in FM Go
                AppGuy

I have a couple of import working fine...  Here is what I do...  Post your script I we can help..

Make sure your path is correct and the same user name and password are on both databases also..

FYI- I am using FM GO 13...  You might want to upgrade.. 

• 5. Re: importing records from host computer in FM Go
                  TomPingel

I upgraded to 13.

There is no login or other 'security' for opening either the host or client, so that shouldn't be an issue.

On 13 I get the error 'WorkSchedulerHost could not be opened (not found)'. It is open on the host with the IP number shown in the script.

Here's a screen shot of the script:

• 6. Re: importing records from host computer in FM Go
                    AppGuy

Not sure if this is it but I have the name of my database defined..  i.e... database.fmp12

If that does not work I would try hard coding it and working it through...

If this database you are using is a hosted file try just the file:database.fmp12  - It will try calling itself..

JP

• 7. Re: importing records from host computer in FM Go
                      TomPingel

Well,  I'm getting closer. At least the script doesn't hang.

I verified the host computer ip address (from an 'open remote' attempt) and hard-wired the file in the import script step:

fmnet:/<ip>/<filename>.fmp12

I verified that the host was running and ran the script.

I got an error code 100 - file not found.

Went back to file/sharing/filemaker network and found 2 ips. I tried the one that did NOT show in the 'open remote' and - voila - the import worked.

Why were 2 ip addresses shown in the 'filemaker network' settings? And why does one show in the 'open remote' dialog on the host computer and the other one is needed for the iPad access to the host? Makes no sense to me!

• 8. Re: importing records from host computer in FM Go
                        TomPingel

This is getting curiouser and curiouser. I have another script that imports data from the host. And guess what? It wants the OTHER isp. So in the same application, one script with an import statement requires one of the isp's in the 'Filemaker Network' settings and another script requires the other one. Now I go back to the script that originally worked and it no longer works. It's looking for the other isp too. I have not 'quit' the host database. It has been and still is open.

What is going on?

I can list 2 options in the 'specify file' panel for the import script step so that whichever isp it wants to use will work - and that seems to work. But why is that necessary? I ask again, why are there 2 isp's listed in the FileMaker network?

• 9. Re: importing records from host computer in FM Go
                          AppGuy

Tom

Do you have 2 network cards in this computer?  or a ethernet and wireless connected?

FileMaker just pulls in the IP address from your network card.  I would assume you have 2 ethernet ports connected or 1 wired and 1 wireless.  This would cause your computer to grab 2 ip addresses.  Nothing to do with FileMaker.