1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2014 3:22 PM by TSGal

Insert PDF with Interactive Container

mattym

Title

Insert PDF with Interactive Container

I have a script that goes to a container field and then uses Insert PDF to ask for a PDF file.

The container is set to interactive content and works fine.

There is one annoying thing - if I use the script on FMP and then load the record in FMGo, the container is not interactive, it just has the filename and icon. If I load the file again through FMGo, it works in both FMGo and FMP.

Is this expected behaviour or is there a way to make this work?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Insert PDF with Interactive Container
          TSGal

Matt Malyschko:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue using FileMaker Pro 13.0v3 under Mac OS X 10.9.4 and viewing with FileMaker Go 13.0v4 on an iPad 3 under iOS 7.1.2.

What occurs when you tap on the Container field in FileMaker Go?  Do you get the option to View?  If so, after viewing and tapping done, does the PDF file then view in Interactive mode?

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Insert PDF with Interactive Container
            mattym

I can view the PDF in the container, but upon return it does not become interactive.

• 3. Re: Insert PDF with Interactive Container
              TSGal

Matt Malyschko:

I am still unable to replicate the issue.  Here are my steps:

Go to Field [ <Container field> ]
                   Insert PDF [ <PDF file name> ]
                   Commit Records/Requests []

-----

Try creating another layout with the Container field, make sure the Container field is formatted for Interactive content, and then run the script.  Does this work?

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Insert PDF with Interactive Container
                mattym

There is no <PDF file name>, it is prompting the user for the file, but yes that is the same as my script aside from No dialog on Commit, and Refresh Window as well.

I've tried it without a script, by drag-and-dropping, and by right-click and using Insert PDF, and both produce the same result - icon and filename on FMGo.

Edit: I've tried it with inputting the filename and path and it still doesn't work.

• 5. Re: Insert PDF with Interactive Container
                  philmodjunk

Hmm, just to rule out a long shot possibility, do you still get this crash if you restart the fm go app?

To restart an App in the iOS, double click the home button, then "flick" the icon for the app you want to close up.

Now re-open your database file and see if you get the same behavior.

• 6. Re: Insert PDF with Interactive Container
                    mattym

Tried your suggestion to no avail.

• 7. Re: Insert PDF with Interactive Container
                      TSGal

Matt Malyschko:

Since creating a new layout also fails, create a new database file with a Container field, format the Container field for Interactive content, set the file for Network Sharing, and then access the file via FileMaker Go.  Does this work?  If so, then we can focus on the original file.  If this fails, then I'll need more information about your computing environment.  That is, what machine, OS, version, etc. is the host machine, the version of FileMaker Pro on the host machine, the iOS device used and iOS version, etc.

TSGal
                           FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Insert PDF with Interactive Container
                        BrandonSmith

Same problem here.  Was there ever a resolution to this?

• 9. Re: Insert PDF with Interactive Container
                          TSGal

Brandon Smith:

Thank you for your post.

I have not heard back from the original poster.  Can you answer the questions above?  This will help me determine what steps to take next.

TSGal
                          FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Insert PDF with Interactive Container
                            BrandonSmith

I'm running the same versions of Go, Pro, and OS X as you.  This is a hosted file on FMS12.  Starting a new database does not make a difference.  I'm using the Insert from URL script step to put the pdf in the container.

• 11. Re: Insert PDF with Interactive Container
                              BrandonSmith

I was able to resolve this by exporting the pdf after using the Insert from URL script step, and then using the Insert PDF script step before attempting to view it on a Go device.  Is there any other way I can do this that doesn't require importing, exporting, and then re-importing?

Edit: After re-reading the initial post, this isn't the same exact problem but presents itself in the same way.  The Insert PDF script step is working as intended in my case.

• 12. Re: Insert PDF with Interactive Container
                                TSGal

Brandon Smith:

Thank you for the additional information.

Here are the steps I took:

1. After launching FileMaker Server 12.0v6, I opened the FMServer_Sample file, and created a table "TEST" with a Container field (aptly titled "Container").

2. In Layout mode, I set "Container" for Interactive Content (although it doesn't matter).

3. I created a button that executes "Insert from URL" script step.  All options checked - "Perform without dialog", "Select entire contents", "Go to target field ("Container")", and "Specify URL" using the FileMaker Pro 13 Install guide:

https://fmhelp.filemaker.com/docs/13/en/fmp13_install.pdf

4. I titled the button "Insert from URL".

5. To make sure this works, I returned to Browse Mode, added a new record, and clicked the button.

6. Using FileMaker Go 13.0v4 on an iPad, I opened the hosted FMServer_Sample file, selected the TEST layout, added a record, and clicked the button "Insert from URL".  The PDF file was placed in "Container".

What URL are you using?  I will try it here.

TSGal
                                FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: Insert PDF with Interactive Container
                                  BrandonSmith

After the pdf was place in the contaner in step 6, did it automatically preview the pdf?  That's where my issue is.  It just shows the pdf icon and filename, unless I do the additional export and insert, which is also reducing the quality of the pdf.  This is only an issue in filemaker go.  In Pro, it works fine.

Let me try the pdf you used just in case there's something going on with my pdf's.  FYI, the URL is being stored in the database.  There are about 1100 different pdf's that I'm storing links to.  I haven't gotten any to work yet after testing about 20 of them.

• 14. Re: Insert PDF with Interactive Container
                                    BrandonSmith

Also, I just found out it works fine in FM Go 12.0.8.

1 2 Previous Next