5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2014 11:50 AM by philmodjunk

Insert picture crash

AnitaJenkins

Title

Insert picture crash

Hi all, Any thoughts as to what might cause FM Go to crash when inserting a picture into a container field? I have updated to the most current version and this process used to work fine. Just a very simple right click, insert photo process. It crashes right at the point when I select the photo to insert. Works fine on my PC.

Thanks so much!
      Ani

• 1. Re: Insert picture crash
          schamblee

First item to check when your file crashes is to check the database for corruption.  You didn't state if the file was on your device on is being hosted, but it is on the device you will need to copy to your computer with FM and run Recover on the database.  Corruption can cause file to crash and crashes can also cause file corruption, so either way the file will need to be checked.    I would also remove filemaker GO and install again. 

• 2. Re: Insert picture crash
            TSGal

Anita Jenkins:

Thank you for your post.

The information from "S Chamblee" is correct (Thank you).  However, from your description, I can't determine if the crash is caused by the insertion of any picture or one specific picture.  If the latter, the actual picture may be the issue.  To test this out, create a new database file with one table and one Container field.  Move this file onto your iOS device, launch FileMaker Go, open the file, and try inserting the same picture into the Container field.  If this also fails, then it may be the picture.

If the crash occurs with any picture, also test with the new file.  If this also crashes, reinstall FileMaker Go and try again.

If the crash only occurs with your original file, then Recover the file suggested by "S Chamblee".

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Insert picture crash
              AnitaJenkins

Thanks so much!
              TS Gal. It is any picture... I tried re installing Go with no luck. 

I have an empty version of the DB on my iPad and can insert pics no problem. The offending file is hosted...

Is there an easy way to recover a hosted file without having to close it / download? It's not really an option for me to close it for downloading as it takes 10+ hours to download and there are multiple users that need 24/7 access.... 

Thanks.

• 4. Re: Insert picture crash
                TSGal

Anita Jenkins:

If you have an empty version of the database on your iPad, then transfer it to your desktop computer and run a Recover on the empty file.  Recover does not always ensure the file will be fixed, so once Recover has completed, move the recovered file onto your iPad, add a record, and see if inserting an image causes a crash.  If so, then you'll have to find an earlier backup of the file that did not exhibit this crashing behavior.  If inserting an image into the Recovered file does NOT cause a crash, then on your Desktop machine, open the empty recovered file and import the data from the main database.  You mentioned that it takes 10+ hours just to download the file, so expect the import to take longer.

Once all data has been imported, close the recovered file, and rename the recovered file back to the original filename.  Next, close the main hosted file, and replace it with the newly recovered file file and open it.  This should provide the least amount of interruption.

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Insert picture crash
                  philmodjunk

Ani, you really need access to back up copies saved from your hosted file. If you don't have this, talk to your hosting service and set that up with them. You can then do a recover of a recent back up copy of the file and not have to shut down your active copy just to make this test.

10+ hours seems extremely slow just to down load a file I've already seen as a consultant.