8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2014 9:50 AM by philmodjunk

Inserting Multiple Images within a Popover

BrentJohnson

Title

Inserting Multiple Images within a Popover

I like the idea of using Popover Buttons, especially on an iPad.  I am wanting to display multiple images within the Popover and cannot figure out how to do so.  I tried inserting a portal, but that did not seem to work.  If possible, I would like to be able to scroll through the images.

• 1. Re: Inserting Multiple Images within a Popover
          TSGal

Brent Johnson:

Thank you for your post.

Having a portal in a Popover is fine.  In the Portal Setup, make sure you select the option "Show vertical scroll bar".  Otherwise, you will be unable to scroll through the related images.

If you are still having difficulty, let me know what you have tried to get the images to display and scroll.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Inserting Multiple Images within a Popover
            philmodjunk

You may need to reduce the number of portal rows and then resize the portal row to be tall enough to hold a container scaled to a size where you can actually see the image in the container field. (And you may want to use the inspector's appearance tab to reduce the container fields "padding" to zero or nearly so.)

There are also ways to set up a 3 panel slide control with a single container field in the middle panel that lets you swipe horizontally through an unlimited number of images.

• 3. Re: Inserting Multiple Images within a Popover
              BrentJohnson

Thank you both for your assistance.

The Portal works fine, however I would like to know who to use the 3 panel slide control as an option.

I am having an issue creating a slide control that acts the same way a portal works: I have a layout Part Types containing 2 fields: “Type” (tires, doors, windows, etc…) and “Picture” (container field which I insert a picture).  I may have 2-3 images for each type, therefore creating several records (tires for example).

On another layout Order Form I am using “Type” from Part Types layout as a dropdown.  I created the slide control and inserted the field “Picture” from Part Types on all 3 slides.

When I go to browse and choose “Tires” from the dropdown and open the slide control, only the first image of tires appears on all 3 slides.

• 4. Re: Inserting Multiple Images within a Popover
                TSGal

Brent Johnson:

The 3-panel slide control example is available through PhilModJunk's Dropbox server at:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78737945/SwipeablePictureList.fmp12

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Inserting Multiple Images within a Popover
                  philmodjunk

But a quick apology here: It's set up to DISPLAY multiple images and I lost track of the fact that you want the ability to INSERT images. Not sure how easy it would be to modify this trick to work for image insertion.

• 6. Re: Inserting Multiple Images within a Popover
                    BrentJohnson

PhilMod,

Thank you for your response.  I am not wanting to insert images, I want to display images based on a dropdown field.  I have tried several ideas, but nothing seems to work.

As posted in my previous post:

I am having an issue creating a slide control that acts the same way a portal works: I have a layout Part Types containing 2 fields: “Type” (tires, doors, windows, etc…) and “Picture” (container field which I insert a picture).  I may have 2-3 images for each type, therefore creating several records (tires for example).

On another layout Order Form I am using “Type” from Part Types layout as a dropdown.  I created the slide control and inserted the field “Picture” from Part Types on all 3 slides.

When I go to browse and choose “Tires” from the dropdown and open the slide control, only the first image of tires appears on all 3 slides.

The following are the images I have in layout Part Types, under field “Type” tires:

However, the following image appears in all 3 panels when I choose tires:

I hope I explained what I am wanting to do.

• 7. Re: Inserting Multiple Images within a Popover
                      BrentJohnson

PhilMod,

Sorry, for some reason the images did not post.

• 8. Re: Inserting Multiple Images within a Popover
                        philmodjunk

A slide control wouldn't "act the same way a portal works". It would act like a slide control. wink

Did you download the file and see how it is designed?

With the three panel slide control, the container field is only placed on the middle panel. The first and last are left blank. Their only purpose is to make possible the "slide animation" that you see when you swipe the panel with a horizontal swipe of your finger and to discriminate between a left to right swipe and a right to left swipe.

A script trigger set up on the slide control identifies the direction of the swipe by identifying whether the first or last panel has become the front panel due to the swipe, it then updates a match field to the next or previous related record to show it's image in the container field and resets the slide control back to the middle panel.

It's all a case of some "Sleight of hand" trickery to make you think that you are horizontally scrolling through a series of images when you are in fact just flipping through 3 panels with the inage always shown in the middle panel.

I later modified this technique to provide users with a Calendar Format Date Picker in a PopOver to replace the awful "spinning wheels" date picker that comes with the iOS device: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78737945/DatePickerPopoverDemo.fmp12