2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2011 9:26 PM by PeterLauwers

iPhone 4 screen resolution

Vettura

Title

iPhone 4 screen resolution

Hi All,

I have a question regarding screen resolutions in FileMaker Go:

I've an iPhone 3G that I'm running FMGo on, so I've been building for a screen resolution of 320 x 480. Some of my graphics look a little hazy, not like the native text and menus of iOS 4 but I hope that this may improve with later FM updates or with my own trial and error, testing best colours and fonts.

However, with the iPhone 4 having a screen resolution of 960 x 640 and a staggering 326 dpi I wondered whether I should be building dedicated iPhone 4 layouts at the larger screen size, to take advantage of the new 'retina display', as I'd assume FileMaker Go will stretch my 320 x 480 layouts to fit the new improved screen?

I don't have an iPhone 4 to test on so wondered how FMGo displayed on the iPhone 4?

Richard Birch

Vettura Limited

• 1. Re: iPhone 4 screen resolution
          TSGal

Vettura:

Thank you for your post.

The screen size is the same.  The resolution "retina display" just makes the image sharper.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: iPhone 4 screen resolution
            PeterLauwers

Well that answer is incorrect. The screen is the same dimension in inches (which is rarely a relevant dimension), but it is 4 times the resolution (which is MUCH more relevant when it comes to building screens and interfaces). When I build a background in Photoshop for a FileMaker database, PIXEL dimensions are important... inches are irrelevant.

There are several problems.

1. FileMaker incorrectly reports the screen as 320 x 480 when it is, indeed, 960 x 640.

2. FileMaker Go ends up setting a view size of 200%. iOS takes over to make TEXT high res, but any bit-mapped images present on the layout will look pixelated... as is consistant with graphics in any iPhone app not developed for the retina display. More information needs to come from FileMaker on ways to resolve this... even if it means developing custom layouts for the iPhone 4.