3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2014 6:36 AM by TSGal

Is it possible to transfer only selected databases, but not all?

bobio01

Title

Is it possible to transfer only selected databases, but not all?

I have only one filemakerpro file that contains all of my databases.  Is there a way to transfer only selected databases from my computer to FilemakerGo on my iPhone?  Or, must I transfer all of the individual databases to the phone?  In Bento it was possible to transfer just selected databases.  

Secondly, I can find no option to provide a password lock on FilemakerGo on my iPhone.  Am I missing something?  Thanks.

• 1. Re: Is it possible to transfer only selected databases, but not all?
          TSGal

bobio01:

Thank you for your post.

The database table can contain multiple tables.  If you only want to transfer only selected tables, then make a copy of the file and transfer over only those tables you want included.  Or, create scripts that check the device, and if the device equals iPhone or iPad, then only allow access to those tables.  This would be set up under File -> Manage -> Security.  Security would also allow you to set up passwords for the database file so when you try to open the database file, you will be prompted for a password.  Otherwise, users without a valid user name and password cannot open the file.

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Is it possible to transfer only selected databases, but not all?
            bobio01

Thank you.  I think I understand, but would ask for some clarification.  As I understand your response as to security I would have to set this up in FMP on my computer, and then the password restriction would apply on both my computer and on the iPhone once transferred.  However, I want the password protection to apply only on my iPhone, not on my computer.  And, ideally, I would like it to prevent opening FMG on the iPhone completely as does the Bento option, not just prevent opening a specific table.  Is this possible, or is Bento more "advanced" in this respect than is FMG?

I also think I understand that the only way to have some, but not all, of my tables transfer to the iPhone is by either creating scripts or making a copy of the file and then working with this copy.  I would then have two files on my computer, the original and the copy.  What I would prefer is the simple (advanced?) Bento method of simply indicating that I only want specific tables to transfer to the iPhone without having to make a copy of the file or writing scripts.  Is this possible?  Thank you!

• 3. Re: Is it possible to transfer only selected databases, but not all?
              TSGal

bobio01:

You can always put a passcode lock on the iPhone that stops anybody from accessing any of your files on the iPhone.

There is no similar passcode like Bento.  When you setup a passcode for Bento, you are actually setting a flag in the Bento database file, since Bento only uses one database file.  Also, in Bento, when you sync a subset of tables, you are actually copying the entire database file, but Bento only grants you permission to the subset of tables.

The same can apply to FileMaker Go, but you will have to create a script.  That is, you can either set up security settings for the file, or you can use script that checks to see if you are using an iPhone, and then prompt the user for a password allowing access to only a subset of tables.

FileMaker Go can also access a file hosted by FileMaker Pro, so you don't need to copy the file to the iPhone.  Just turn on Network Sharing for the database file, and FileMaker Go can then access the file in real-time via Wi-Fi or 3G.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.