11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2015 12:42 AM by bigtom

Is syncing between Go

ChristopherMoore

Title

Is syncing between Go & Pro as convoluted as it appears?

I have been both a Bento and a Filemaker user for years. I've used Bento for a couple of simple databases that I sync via wifi, but Filemaker for a larger more complex database that is only on my desktop.

With the discontinuation of development for Bento, I am moving my other databases to FMP Advanced. One of my databases is a cash voucher system where I keep track of cash purchases and disbursements for our not-for-profit. I use both the hosted desktop version and the mobile version daily. I take pictures of receipts that are kept in the database for tax/audit purposes, so the file is too large to email. 

Bottom line question is this: is there no simple way to sync data via wifi between two local copies that transfers only updated records?

This is driving me nuts, and I have to think that there is a simple solution that doesn't run $400/device.

• 1. Re: Is syncing between Go & Pro as convoluted as it appears?
          schamblee

Filemaker Go does not have syncing built in, you will have to build your own or purchase a 3rd party tool.   Yes they products available are expensive.  The cheap way is to use a service like dropbox to copy the database from you device to your computer, then import the new records into your master copy on your computer then sent this new master back to your device.  If you don't need to lookup anything then you could start with a empty copy on your device then just import all records. 

You can make a feature request at http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

I agree it should have syncing built in even the old palm pilots and blackberries had syncing. 

Here is a sync guide, http://www.filemaker.com/solutions/ios/docs/fmi_guide_sync_en.pdf ,  It is not a simple method.

• 2. Re: Is syncing between Go & Pro as convoluted as it appears?
            ChristopherMoore

I don't usually think in such harsh terms, but that's simply asinine that database software that is publicized as an 'Apple Subsidiary' is so far behind the curve that it can't perform a basic sync of data between the mobile and desktop/server software. I guess "It just works" doesn't apply to FMP. 

Thanks for the help, S Chamblee!

Now can someone tell me why on this forum when using my MacBook Pro when I hit the <return> key it takes my cursor up to the TOP of the window rather than down to the next line????

• 3. Re: Is syncing between Go & Pro as convoluted as it appears?
              ChristopherMoore

So another quick question: I have a field on my database that is a storage container for pictures related to each record. As I attempt to export the file in iOS, it won't allow me to select the container for export. Is that just the way it is, or am I doing something wrong?

This is really getting aggravating, especially after spending all the $$ in order to upgrade from Bento!

• 4. Re: Is syncing between Go & Pro as convoluted as it appears?
                schamblee

Export of a container field is allowed in Go.   There can be a couple of different issue causing the problem.  First make sure Browse Mode is check under field entry in the inspector.   FM for some reason does not always have this selected.

• 5. Re: Is syncing between Go & Pro as convoluted as it appears?
                  philmodjunk

Now can someone tell me why on this forum when using my MacBook Pro when I hit the <return> key it takes my cursor up to the TOP of the window rather than down to the next line????

The why is that FileMaker Inc. selected Oracle RightNow to supply the software for this forum and they produced a really crappy software package that never worked correctly.

Two work arounds:

1. Use a different Browser, FireFox on my windows machine does not have this issue. If I use Safari on my iPad, I see the same thing.
                  3. Type a character, any character and then hit the left arrow key to back up the cursor to the left of this character, I use an invisible space for this. Now, when you hit return, it puts the cursor where you want it.
                  • 6. Re: Is syncing between Go & Pro as convoluted as it appears?
                    rgordon

Exporting a container field is not supported in Export Records in FileMaker Go.  You can use Export Field Content to export a container field but this will only export one record.  Surprisingly, FileMaker Go can not export to a FileMaker Pro file.  None of the file formats that you can use to export in FileMaker Go, can support a container field.

• 7. Re: Is syncing between Go & Pro as convoluted as it appears?
                      mrjw34

The cheap way is to use a service like dropbox to copy the database from you device to your computer, then import the new records into your master copy on your computer then sent this new master back to your device.

It would be nice as a kludge for the non-syncing if FMGO would recognize the new extension feature in iOS8 and let users save a database to a Dropbox folder.

• 8. Re: Is syncing between Go & Pro as convoluted as it appears?
                        schamblee

No, that's not going to happen.  If you save your database straight to a Dropbox folder, then your database would end up getting corrupt.  That is even a issue on using dropbox on two different PC.   You would end up with two of three copies of your database with different data and none, being the correct data.  Dropbox makes a copy of the database and places on your pc then this copy would be different from a copy copied to another computer, then you have three copies with the wrong data.  This would happen on an ios device just as it does on a pc.  Dropbox is not designed to open a filemaker file and then write data to that file.   Dropbox does not sync your database, it is used only to make a copy of your database, which can be moved to different devices.

• 9. Re: Is syncing between Go & Pro as convoluted as it appears?
                          mrjw34

In FM Pro on the desktop you can save a copy of a database anywhere (and even overwrite an existing version). This way I save to a Dropbox folder and on my iPhone I delete any previous version in FMGO and then open (Open in FMGO) it there. Even if I didn't delete the old one it opens in FMGO with a filename-1 designation so it's obvious what is the newest version.

In the same way I just want an alternative way of saving any changes I make to the FMGO version. I don't expect it to sync, I just want to replace an older version with a newer version (or add to the same folder with a filename-1 designation) .

I'd like the iOS version to offer a similar same saving option what the desktop version offers. This is now possible in iOS 8 with the new Dropbox extension.

• 10. Re: Is syncing between Go & Pro as convoluted as it appears?
                            schamblee

Yes, you can send the database to dropbox from / to your device.  My statement above is that it is not going to save directly to the dropbox folder, such as on a pc.  I have been able to sent item to dropbox before ios8.    

• 11. Re: Is syncing between Go & Pro as convoluted as it appears?
                              bigtom

When you try to export in FMGo where are you expecting the file to go? I understand there is some need for sync in some situations.

For this general purpose as long as the host computer is always hosting the iPad is always in sync. If you really want to get FileMaker to behave like Bento did...that is a little more work that it sounds like. One of the sync companies may be your best bet. I would advise sharing over the WAN if you can and just run it as a live synced connection.