2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2012 11:43 AM by woodstock_1

Is there a way to determine if user is using Ipad 3?

woodstock_1

Title

Is there a way to determine if user is using Ipad 3?

I would like to be able to determine if the FileMaker Go user is using and Ipad 3 vs. an Ipad 2. Get(ScreenWidth) is 1024 for both. Get(SystemPlatform) is 3 for both.

Maybe some webviewer javascript thing could do this but haven't been able to find anything..

BTW - Reason for this is I have a file that I only want people to be able to take pictures with if they have an ipad 3 (higher resolution camera).  Also maybe useful to go to a layout with higher resolutuion graphics (even though image degrades gracefully) would be faster for ipad 2 to not go to the higher res layout.

• 1. Re: Is there a way to determine if user is using Ipad 3?
          Jade

As a suggestion, you could use:

Get(PersistentID) with v12

or Get(SystemNICAddress) with v11

alternatively, Get(AccountName)

If your iPad ID's are known, then compare the result with a value list of iPad 3 ID's.  (You can obtain the ID or NIC when you register a new user.)

If the iPad ID's are unknown, you would need to add a "configuration" field (radio buttons) so that the users can set the type of iPad they have or alternatively base the type on the user account name. For the latter, you could use privilege sets to allow access to the higher res layouts.  (These ways are not as secure.)

• 2. Re: Is there a way to determine if user is using Ipad 3?
            woodstock_1

Thanks for the ideas Jade.  I was able to figure out a webviewer method that seems to work too:

"data:text/html,

<script type=\"text/javascript\">

v = window.devicePixelRatio;
                 window.location = 'fmp://$/myFile.fmp12?script=myScript&param=' + v;

</script>
            "

the devicePixelRatio is "2" for an ipad 3 vs. "1" for ipad 1/2 and passes that parameter to a script.