1 Reply Latest reply on May 17, 2012 1:18 PM by TSGal

Issues with sharing

CathrynLackovich

Title

Issues with sharing

Hoping you guys may be able to help me out here.

I work with a professional photographer and we travel all across the country. That being said, we're looking for a way to carry our database with us. We thought we'd be able to use Filemaker Go on our iPhones to access the information as needed. It doesn't seem to be the case at the moment. It looks like I need to have the computer running with the filemaker file open. Is there some way I can save a copy of the database that I can carry with me? Or maybe some other way that may work for us that you guys can suggest? I'm open to anything at this point as this is very frustrating for all of us.

Thanks much!

• 1. Re: Issues with sharing
          TSGal

Cathryn Lackovich:

Thank you for your post.

If a file is to be shared, it needs to be open on a host computer with other users accessing the file.  If the file cannot be hosted, then you can definitely copy the file to your iOS device.  Here are the steps to do this.

1. Connect your iOS device (iPad, iPhone, iPod touch) to your Mac or Windows machine.

2. Launch iTunes.

3. In the left pane of iTunes, find your device name (under DEVICES) and click on it.

4. On the right side, click on the tab "Apps"

5. Scroll to the bottom under File Sharing, and select the App FileMaker Go.

6. To the right, under "Documents", are the FileMaker Pro files (and possibly PDF or text files) currently installed on the iOS device.

7. Drag the desired FileMaker Pro file from your Mac/Windows machine into the Documents box with the other files and let go.  This will copy the file to the iOS device.

8. Launch FileMaker Go.  In the main screen, on the left side, you will see the desired database file.  You can now open and use it.

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.