4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2017 7:55 PM by bigtom

Keeping FMGO active during wifi or cell activity

EricP_1

Title

Keeping FMGO active during wifi or cell activity

I'm using Export Field Contents function from an hosted database to download a new version of my app. It works well except that the download will stop if the iphone goes into "sleep mode". FileMaker Go does not appear in the list of apps in the "Background App Refresh' section of the iphone settings.

I also would like to prevent sleep mode while syncing with the servers.

Is there a way, other than using our thumb to keep FM GO active :)

• 1. Re: Keeping FMGO active during wifi or cell activity
          TSGal

Eric P:

Thank you for your post.

Background App Refresh allows you to customize the apps that run in the background to search for app and content updates, new mail, etc.  On top of that, FileMaker Go cannot access the sleep mode settings on your iPhone as this is controlled by iOS.  You would need to disable sleep mode prior to downloading 

FileMaker Go cannot access the sleep mode settings on your iPhone as this is controlled by iOS.  You would need to disable sleep mode prior to downloading.  To do this, go into Settings -> General -> Auto-Lock - Never.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Keeping FMGO active during wifi or cell activity
            EricP_1

Thanks for the reply. That's what I was afraid of.

Maybe there is some sort of a "hack" to avoid this...maybe using javascript ?

I don't see myself asking the users to disable sleep mode to update their app .

If anyone has an idea...

• 3. Re: Keeping FMGO active during wifi or cell activity
              bruderdog

Skeleton key offered an interesting solution if using fm go 15. Start playing an audio file from a container first. That will keep go running in the background.

• 4. Re: Keeping FMGO active during wifi or cell activity
                bigtom

I do not recall if it will keep the Go App running but I think if you use InsertFromURL it will stay open until the file has completed transfer. I try to keep updates small and have not had this issue.

Can the update be smaller? Some form of downloading with http and then opening the file in Go might work as well. There are a few threads on app update strategies if you search.