1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2015 8:53 AM by schamblee

Layout Changes in Pro not showing in Go

AndrewMitchell

Title

Layout Changes in Pro not showing in Go

Anyone had their layout changes in FM_Pro not showing in FM_Go? I'll change field title texts in Pro but then when I save a copy and export it to Go the field titles and contents are the same as before I made the changes...

• 1. Re: Layout Changes in Pro not showing in Go
          schamblee

Are you modifying a starter solution?  If so, there are different layouts for Pro, iPad and iPhones.  You have to change the layout for each device.    Screen sizes are different on each device so there are different layouts to make the layouts more user friendly for each device.

• 2. Re: Layout Changes in Pro not showing in Go
            djankowicz

I have the same problem.  Try as I might I can't find any way to ensure that the size of the image of the card view fits exactly into the iPad window.

Yes, I have found the 'Show or hide screen and device dimensions' drop-down menu, fourth from the right in Edit Layout view, in the MacBook Pro version and have ticked the iPad portrait and landscape size options, and saved by closing. I have used iTunes for the transfer and it works fine BUT it makes no difference: there is still a blank space to the right of, and below, the card image when viewing in iPad.

Does any of you nice people know how to handle this particular layout problem? Other than re-creating the entire layout from scratch?

Devi

• 3. Re: Layout Changes in Pro not showing in Go
              schamblee

I'm not clear on your question, can you post a screen shot of the problem?

• 4. Re: Layout Changes in Pro not showing in Go
                philmodjunk

Put a small object in the lower left corner of your layout. Select the bottom and right auto-size anchors for it in the inspector. Deselect the left and upper anchors.

In browse mode--on either your iOS device or on a computer, this layout background will now stretch to fill the limits of the current display.

Final step is to select the object while in layout mode and enter True into the "hide object when" setting so that your layout resizes to fit, but is not visible in Browse, print, find or preview modes--only visible in layout mode.

I use bright red layout text like this for that purpose:

Resize>
                vvvvvvv

• 5. Re: Layout Changes in Pro not showing in Go
                  djankowicz

SChamblee, here's a screen photo (couldn't work out how to do a screen grab on an iPad!). Ignore the fringing. What you see is one of the records which I have imported from Filemaker on my MacBook Pro to Filemaker Go on the iPad. The record card fills the whole Filemaker window. Before exporting, I set the iPad screen size using the 'Show or hide screen and device dimensions' drop-down in Filemaker/Edit Layout, selecting both the landscape and portrait options for iPad. As you can see from the attached photo of the Filemaker Go window on the iPad, they were ignored. You can see that there is a blank area to the right of the card: it's not filling the whole screen.

Phil, I'll try your suggestion.

Follow the instructions and see the New Year in with a refreshing cocktail invented by my good self. (I recommend 60 millilitres as a worthwhile part size.) And thank you both!

• 6. Re: Layout Changes in Pro not showing in Go
                    philmodjunk

There was a typo in my last post. Instead of "lower left" that should be "lower right" corner...

• 7. Re: Layout Changes in Pro not showing in Go
                      djankowicz

Phil, thanks ever so much for taking the trouble to amend. Will try again!

Kind regards and a Happy New Year to everyone.

Devi

• 8. Re: Layout Changes in Pro not showing in Go
                        philmodjunk

This trick works in both FM GO and FM Pro. You can examine the layouts of any of my "Adventures in FileMaking" files to find working examples of this.

• 9. Re: Layout Changes in Pro not showing in Go
                          djankowicz

Phil, I've tried your workaround and have placed a square rectangle in the bottom right corner of the card in layout mode of FMPro. That's in the bottom right of the card as I want it displayed in FMGo on my iPad, not in the right corner of the FMPro window, which is larger.

I don't understand what you mean by deselecting the left and upper anchors. On an object, all 8 anchors are visible when the object is selected, or none are visible when they're not. Anyway, I have crabbed the upper left anchor and pulled the object to cover the whole card which I'm assuming is what you're wanting me to do. So that, when I Exit layout and transfer the whole file to FMGo, I can then drag on that window so as to drag the whole of the record card accordingly? I'm not sure how this would work but the point is, I can't do your next step anyway.

Your next step is for me to enter 'True' into the 'hide object when' setting. I have looked all over the menus but can't find that command anywhere.

Sorry to trouble you again but if you could clarify, I'd be v. grateful.

Devi

• 10. Re: Layout Changes in Pro not showing in Go
                            philmodjunk

Apparently, you are not looking at the Auto-size anchors but at the resize Handles. See the attached illustration from Adventures in FileMaking #3 - Many to Many Relationshiops to see where to find these settings in the Inspector:

• 11. Re: Layout Changes in Pro not showing in Go
                              djankowicz

Phil, I've clicked on the link you provided, 'Adventures in Filemaking' On opening, it's labelled Adventures 1 CVLs and shows 11 separate sets of cards, each of which consists of only one record with the exception of the set called 'Dwindling Value Lists' which contains 3. This can't be the 'Adventures in Filemaking 3 to which you refer since all 11 sets are about 'Exploring Conditional Value Lists' and not about 'Many to Many Relationships' as you mentioned. Perhaps the link you kindly provided is at fault?

Hopefully, the correct link will send me to the right place to resolve this query, and show some information about the mysterious 'Hide object when' variable, which you didn't mention in your last posting.

With thanks for your patience!

Devi

• 12. Re: Layout Changes in Pro not showing in Go
                                philmodjunk

You are correct. Adventures in FileMaking #3 is still in development. I haven't finished it yet. The link was to a file that has been released to the public and the screen shot is from AIF #3.

But if you enter layout mode on nearly any layout (we don't call them "cards" wink) in the file you downloaded and check the bottom right corner of nearly every layout, you'll find the red text object shown in the screen shot that I uploaded.

Please take another look at the image I uploaded as it clearly shows both the layout text object and the Auto-Size anchors specified for it in the inspector.

• 13. Re: Layout Changes in Pro not showing in Go
                                  schamblee

I got thrown off by him calling them cards to begin with.  Must have been a user of Apples HyperCard, where the layouts were refer to as cards. Brings back memories.  Great program in its day.smiley

• 14. Re: Layout Changes in Pro not showing in Go
                                    philmodjunk

When I opened up FileMaker Pro 2.5 on my first macintosh computer, my initial response was: "This is a less flexible version of Hypercard, but in color and with tools that make setting up layouts easier to do..."  (Back then, FileMaker was "flat file" with very limited scripting capabilities.)

In many ways, Hypercard was my introduction to FileMaker and was definitely my introduction to what we now call "Object Oriented Programming". I've always felt that Apple missed some massive opportunities by not properly supporting and enhancing that tool. In its day, many teachers had students creating incredible multi-media presentations in HC on all kinds of different subjects.

I long valued the "stacks" produced by some silicon valley students on the Physics principals evident in different amusement park rides in the Great America (now six flags operated) park located just a few blocks from Filemaker Inc. headquarters. I taught Physics at a private school at that time and always wanted to challenge my students to do the same but lacked the classroom based technology to do so. sad

1 2 Previous Next